1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Somethings wrong :(

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tran_89, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tran_89

tran_89 Thread Starter

Hey... something has happened to my computer!! I'm using Windows XP Proffessional. The problem started about 2 days ago. Everytime i turn on the computer.. the screen goes straight to this menu where it asks "safe mode, last working, and normal mode".. sorry i don't know what that page is called but if you press f8 u normally get there... well i don't know why its happening.. but everytime i select "normaly mode" the computer then goes to the "Windows XP loading window".. and then a couple of seconds later it popps up showing the blue screen of death and after about 2 seconds the computer restarts and takes me back to the window asking me "safe mode, last working, and normal mode." its a continous cycle and i need my computer for school work!!!! please help urgently :)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What error message on the BSOD?

3. Covenant

Covenant

The first thing I would try is the "Last Good Configuration"...

If that does not work...try booting into Safe Mode and if you can get there you can run System Restore to a few days prior to this happening. This might fix the problem.

Other than those two options...try posting the exact blue screen error message. Some of the guys here can search the net to find out what the particular error means.

4. tran_89

tran_89 Thread Starter

thats the thing... once i get to the stage where i chose a "mode".. eg.. i choose safe mode.. the machine automatically goes to this windows menu loading page and then goes black.. and then for 2 seconds it shows this blue screen.. theres not enough time to read it... and then the computer restarts :S

5. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

and then for 2 seconds it shows this blue screen.. theres not enough time to read it... and then the computer restarts :S

Maybe you can hit the pause key and thus have time to read the message.

6. tran_89

tran_89 Thread Starter

how do i pause it?

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You could try the key marked "pause" as a wild guess (usually up near the top right) on most 101 key keyboards

8. blowfish

blowfish

This is a fairly common problem I come accross. It is usually caused by the faulty RAM slots. Simply move the RAM over and retry. If you still have no success I am afraid a reinstall is the only option.

I found this problem occurs on lower end motherboards from MSI and ASROCK especially where there is dodgy power fluctuations.

9. xkikbxr

xkikbxr

Maybe you could try installing your HDD into another PC and see if it boots if it does then you know it's not the HDD and it's Probably like Blowfish said it's your RAM sockets.

10. gyrgrls

gyrgrls Banned

No can do with Win2k / WinXP. :(

If the Hardware Abstarct Layer isn't first rebuilt (via a "repair install"),
    then the machine may or may not load Windows - but usually not -
    instead, you'll get a big fat BSOD when Windows starts to load.

11. Firah

Firah

Boot up with the XP CD (make sure CD-ROM is set as first boot device in BIOS), and at the first option screen press 'R' for repair. Follow the prompts, then type: chkdsk /r

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/416884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice