1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Somewhat serious sound problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MaryMorrison, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaryMorrison

MaryMorrison Thread Starter

I'm not getting sound from my speakers and I have tried various known solutions to this problem. Here are the details:

*When I go to Control Panel > Sound Devices, it says there is "No Audio Device" and the options there are greyed out.

*When I go to Device Manager > Sound/Video Controllers, the following are listed:
    • Audio Codecs
    • Legacy Audio Drivers
    • Legacy Video Capture Devices
    • Media Control Devices
    • Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    • Video Codecs
    *When I go to services.msx or whatever and go to Windows Audio, it is started and it is set to automatically run at startup.

*This problem has not always been around; it happened after troubleshooting malware and spyware problems. [If this information is relevant, view the other thread I've created on this forum]

*I have an Dell desktop with an intel 925x chipset mobo.

**If you suggest I replace drivers, I kindly ask for step-by-step instructions as if you were guiding a 2nd grader through the process, not "download this and run it. then go to this site and git the new drivers!" [I'm extremely inexperienced and uncomfortable with drivers.]

*Attached is the TXT summary from CPUZ to expediate the diagnosis process.

Please help me with this horrible problem. I will rarely have access to the mentioned machine [maybe twice a week] so paitence is extremely appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

firstly i think you should read the folowing:

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Why_drivers_are_important

hopefully this will help you understand drivers, if you have Q just post em.

when you download the drivers from dell it will be a .exe file whitch will probably just extract the nasacary files to a folder most likley called C:\DELL, if it dosent start the installer automaticly then you will probably have to do it manualy.

but your issue is almost cirtanly driver related, the drivers may have been damaged when removing the virus.

3. MaryMorrison

4. cybersloth

cybersloth

5. MaryMorrison

Can you specifically telll me which driver to download and install?

6. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador

If your system was suffered from malware or virus infection, it would be best to either restore the system back to a point prior to contamination or do a clean install of the Operating System and everything, to get it back to factory condition (that is if you have all the discs the PC came with) otherwise you will continue to experience lingering issues. Be sure to do backup critical files and scan them for viruses.

7. cybersloth

cybersloth

what is the sound device you are using, please look at your hardware, is it a PCI sound card or onboard???

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice