1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sonic Activation Module

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Trickyrf, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trickyrf

Trickyrf Thread Starter

This keeps popping up on my Dell Inspiron laptop. I originally tried to uninstall it but it was not viewable in Add/Remove programs. So I found the program files and deleted them. It still kept on popping up. So I followed other people's advice and unchecked two files that seemed relevant to it (Isdm.exe and one other) in msconfig. This seemed to work but I got the msconfig warning up saying I should restore back to normal settings. So I can't win. I have now gone back to normal settings and the Sonic keeps popping up. And now my machine won't switch off - I have to remove the battery. Any help out there?
    Thanks, Tricky

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hope you do not mind me telling you but you should NEVER attempt to uninstall programmes by deleting the files. This leaves all the entries in the registry and all the amended system files etc that have been changed by the program when installed.
    Do not bother about that msconfig warning that was simply saying you have altered Startup from Normal startup to Selective startup. If you had looked it also has a check box, DO NOT SHOW THIS AGAIN.
    DO you know the date when you removed the program files - by deleting.
    If so Programs, Accessories. System Tools, System Restore and select Restore My Computer to an earlier time.
    Click Next and on the calender select a date before the deletions try to find a system checkpoint.
    WARNING - Any PROGRAMMES, FILES ETC NOT ON THE COMPUTER AT THE TIME OF THAT RESTORE WILL BE LOST.
    See if that solves the problem, of the computer not switching off.

3. Trickyrf

Trickyrf Thread Starter

Hi
    thanks for advice. Well I didn't know what else to do. Can't remember when I deleted the files but I could restore them if I haven't emptied my recycling bin? Re the msconfig ok will try again. Thanks for responding. You don't happen to know why the laptop won't switch itself off again do you!?? :)

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

System Restore is NOTHING to do with the recycle bin. please follow my guidance for System Restore in Post 2.
    If this works it will also cure the switching off problem which is caused by a process still running.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice