1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sons gaming computer is running very slowly

Discussion in 'Games' started by Colleenlabate, Jul 11, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Colleenlabate

Colleenlabate Thread Starter

I bought my son a custom made gaming computer for christmas. He plays online (Fortnite maily). The computer is very slow and when I go to task manager it says that 99% of disc space is being used. I am attaching my diagnostic page. Please let me know if you need any other info. Hopefully this is an easy/cheap fix.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 4028 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1839 GB (1784 GB Free); D: 23 GB (4 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASRock, AB350 Gaming K4
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4

That computer has a very impressive processor and graphic card for gaming.
    However, its speed and performance is being handicapped by having only 3.93 GB of usable RAM for its Windows operating system and associated apps.
    It appears to have 8 GB of RAM, so I'm guessing the other 4.07 GB is dedicated for use by the graphic card.
    I would add another 8 GB of RAM and run it with 16 GB.

That computer also has Avast Antivirus installed.
    Windows 10 doesn't do well in some computers that use a third-party antivirus app.
    I would uninstall it and then use Windows 10's built-in Windows Defender Security Center antivirus app.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  3. kenbok51

kenbok51

I don't use Win 10 but Task Manager in Win 7 doesn't show disk space being used. I believe you mean 99% of the CPU is being used. It's important to note that under the processes tab, 99% of System Idle Process means that 99% of the CPU is idled (not being used). If there is another application using 99% of the CPU then that is the issue not disk space. But having a D drive which is 28gig with 4gig free can mean the D drive is a backup partition and your single hard drive is partitioned into two segments C the main drive and the backup or factory image D. Re-examine the task manager under the processes tab and tell us what is using 99% of the CPU. You can right click on the app that uses 99% and select properties and look under the details tab for a little more info.

4. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
    99% disk usage means that your hard drive is being over worked. You have to find what is running the disk that much. I find that superfetch, and windows updating/installing can run a win10 computer's disk usage high(dont end or disable these tasks). Also I agree with flavellee in having just windows defender. You don't need more than one antivirus, and yes windows 10 tends to cause conflict with certain things. When you sort to highest disk usage, what is the highest running task at that time and what are the top 5 highest running tasks? Also for Windows updates/installation go to settings >Updates and Security>Check for Updates>let it run and download if any>Then restart computer if necessary

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice