1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Son's Laptop Problem "MY Fault"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JohnBeddows, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnBeddows

JohnBeddows Thread Starter

Hi everyone.
    The last couple of weeks my lads laptop has started to freeze at times,then the screen would blackout then appear with a black screen with a blue box inthe middle giving BOOT DEVICE OPTIONS
    ( )Hard Disk Drive.
    ( )CD-ROM/DVD
    ( )Floppy Disk Drive
    ( )LAN Boot

Unfortunately whilst on it ,it froze blacked out and now keeps going to this option page ,where as before if you turn off then on it rectified itself.
    Now as you've probably gathered I feel extremely guilty as it was me on it and I know JACK SQUIT of how to put it right.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

Thankyou, John.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are there any circumstances in which it will boot all the way or is this intermittant? If you choose the "hard drive" does it boot normally?

It is halting on an IDE bootup choice well before even Windows enters the picture. On my Dell systems you must press the F12 key for it to do this -- any chance you have a stuck key on the keyboard?

Also, If you enter the CMOS setup page (look for the key to press on the first data screen -- often f2) -- you want to look for an option there to reload the setup defaults. Select that and save the change and exit.

3. JohnBeddows

Hi,
    Thanks for your quick reply.No I can't get it to go beyond this option page.As I don't know anything about computers I will appreciate as much help as possible but in the simplest of terms please (yes I'm thick).This is constant can't get it to boot any further. It goes to the first and second black page (with white writing) and then goes directly to the options page mentioned earlier. I have listed spec below if this helps :

Item Specifics - PC Laptops
    Brand: Tiny Condition: New
    Processor Speed: 1.3 GHz Chip Type: Intel Celeron
    Hard Drive Capacity: 20 GB Memory (RAM): 512 MB
    Screen Size: 15.4 inches Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW
    Features: 10/100 LAN Card, Firewire, Modem, Operating System, USB, WiFi Enabled

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

About all I can think of here is to reload the CMOS (setup defaults). You can also try removing and reseating the hard drive -- it is possible it is not being seen.

-- usually it only involves removing a couple of screws. Remove all power to the laptop, including battery when doing so. If you have a "Tiny" manual it might give instructions.

Again to reload setup defaults you must enter CMOS setup. You should see the key for this given very early in the boot process. Look at the CMOS setup page to see how to navigate.

I can't give you specific step by steps because this varies from system to system.

5. JohnBeddows

hi, have now disconnected battery and carefully examined everything I dare and still no joy.
    I dont get any mention of the CMOS setup either.Sorry.

6. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

It may be something very simple, you might be better off just dropping in to a small computer store and have them look at it. They should be able to look at it right away, your son will probably appreciate it.;)

7. JohnBeddows

Thanks Pete.
    I'm going to do that this morning,just can't afford any outlay at the moment.Just feel awfull as I was using it when it crashed (typical eh!).

8. JohnBeddows

Thanks for everyones help.Dropped it into shop,the hard drive had died.New hard drive fitted.Nightmare for the shop as they had trouble installing drivers for everything.After many hours of persistence they managed to get everything working ok apart from they could not get the integrated multi card reader to function.So had to purchase an external card reader to plug into usb.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice