1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony CD-R/RW going south for the winter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GARGOYLE54, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GARGOYLE54

GARGOYLE54 Thread Starter

:confused:
    When i try to copy on my "TDKs CD-Rs" {note: i've got over 80 of these already recorded the the max}, it basically records when it wants to. most of the the time it doesn't realize that theres a disc in there. or when it does, it starts to record, then kicks it out with a disc error. {either a :disc error-51030200 or disc error-aa030200{medium disc error} BUT! i can put in a brand new disc and 9 times out of 10 it will record. i'm lucky to get a seconding session on that disc. all this just started not long ago. been happy with the sony for over a year or so .
    what i'm running is; Win98SE, 128MB, 550Meg. AMD K6-2 and the memory is about 3/4's free.
    the drive in question is;Sony CD-R/RW #CRX1611 and i try to reach sony they don't list that model #.
    B.H.A Co.,-B's Recorder Gold Version 3, Software {which i was told to grab the updates{which didn't do the trick}
    i've uninstalled and re-installed still no luck.
    So PLEASE if anyone could help me, the wife and the guy who replaces my window that the sony goes thru, we would all be very gratefull.

2. n2gun

n2gun

Welcome to TSG

It may be a software issue. What I would try is a different program. Below is a link to Nero. They have a free dowload for version 5.5. Uninstall the one your using and try it and see what happens. I have had very good luck with Nero where others have not been that good.

http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#root

BTW I am originally from that area. I was born and raised in a small town called Corfu which would be near Batavia. I see the weather is typical for winter. ;)

3. GARGOYLE54

Thanks Guy. i did what you said, junked my B's Recorder and got Nero. it worked one time, tried it twice more with no luck. got about half way thru and quit. but at least it knows theres a disc in there, takes a min. but it shows theres something in the tray.

and about the winter, not enough snow. i spent half my life down south {Ga.}, now that i'm home i can't get enough of it.

thanks again for the help, i'll keep trying to record some how.

4. n2gun

n2gun

How old is the cd-rw drive? Some of the old drives had a problem especially it seems if you tried to write too fast.

Also another thought. It may be possible that the pinds are starting to corrode(a common problem with time. You may try going into the computer and carefully unplug the data cable and then plug it back in. Do this on both ends of the cable. If that is the problem it should straighten it out.

5. GARGOYLE54

Hello jerry, the drive is only about a year old. i've never adjusted the speeds, just drag and drop the same way i've been doing it all this time.
    see if this means anything to you, just for the heck of it i started everything under safe mode. it stated"the ASPI Manager has not been installed
    procedure/explanation: connect the SCSI board & check that the necessary drive is in place"
    i've found out what the SCSI was, but can't find out about the ASPI Manager. i mean i'd like to keep using the B's Recorder if i could?! i think i'm just missing that little something, just enough to screw me up. but i am checking out the other software though. thanks again guy

6. kknla

kknla

Have you recently changed disk brands? I had an old creative burner one time that just hated those cheap cds. It would barly ever work with them, and when it did, the computer could not even read the disks half the tme.

7. n2gun

n2gun

Have you tried a lens cleaner? The lens getting dirty can cause problems also.

8. GARGOYLE54

Yea, bought a cleaner for the drive, cleaned cd, unpluged and repluged. it just worked for a small set of jpegs. but, earlier it didn't. it's just like it was 2 weeks ago. use to be put in a disc and 1 sec., it'd noticed it. now it works like me, when ever it wants to.
    what do you have to say about that safe mode try. i've been looking everywhere for information to the point it's about time for a beer, then look at it again?????

9. n2gun

n2gun

Safe mode does not load all the drivers. Just what is needed for a minimal start. That is why you most likely got those messages.

Did you install anything shortly before all this started?

10. GARGOYLE54

No, haven't done anything new. was just clearing out folders as i often done, just started acting up. now, it worked fine for just a little bit yesterday. this morning, nothing.
    got a hold of the software co., they say load the update. which i did {no luck}, so i'll try them again and see what they say now. i'm still looking for the answers aand thanks again for the help. not done yet.

11. n2gun

n2gun

Just a thought. Do you have another computer you could try the drive in? This may help pinpoint where to look.

12. GARGOYLE54

nope, no other computer.
    jerry, it's freaky. like i said, plop in a brand new CD, it records no problem. i think it was friday the darn thing worked like it was new. noticed the disc in a second and went flying thru the whole process. tried it later that night, back to it's moody self. come to think of it, i did upgrade my IrfaNView {for pics} it had a bug in it {the photo conversion part didn't work}, so i unloaded it and back to my older version of it. but that didn' t get to far into my system to mess with it. i'm still waiting for an answer from the software co. cause all they said was to upgrade, so far. 'bout ready to pull my hair, either that or give the local glass maker some business. and it's been to cold lately to be doing that.

13. n2gun

n2gun

It is weird that it is fine one time and not the next. When the software company replies, let me know what they say. Will keep thinking on it meanwhile.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice