1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony DSC-S75

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by dano_61, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I have two questions about DCS_S75 digital camera, do i need to replace the battery with a Sony battery or will any do, is there a way to insert the Sandisk into my computer

Dan

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    NO you should be able to buy an equivalent battery, I used a number of Canons in family and buy an equivalent spare battery - in 2 cases the spare cheap battery lasts much longer and both the same age and used the same - the thing to look out for is the mAh (milliAmpHour) BUT i think Sony use watts - have a read here for a simple way to compare mAh and Watts http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.shtml
    Some computers have readers already built-in - BUT you will need to see if it supports the Sony Card - Whats the Make and Model of the PC ?
    If it does not support - you can easily get Memory Readers that connect to the USB connections on the PC so you can read the memory card direct on PC
    Also have a look at your printer - some printers have card readers built in too

3. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

If the computer has card reader, for a Sony it would indicate MS (for Memory Stick) on it
    Same thing for the printer too. :)

4. antimoth

antimoth

To me, the big criteria about batteries is not the capacity, but whether it has the same overheating and overvoltage protection as the manufacturer's original unit. Even then, we read about battery fires and recalls on cell fones and laptops from big reputable vendors. Today, with the protection circuits available on an inexpensive and widely available chip, only a stupid person would build and sell an unsafe battery, but there are still a lot of stupid people in the world.

You can find really cheap batteries on ebay. Or you can go to Amazon.com for a better clone or even a Sony original. And of course, there are the photo shops and office/computer stores.

I admit that I use $10 ebay batteries in my $150 cameras. I do use
    a reputable brand in my $800 camera. Wouldn't do to see it on fire.

Your camera uses a memory stick. You can get a USB memory stick reader for $10-20 from online or at shops. If your PC is older than your camera and runs Win98, make sure the reader comes with a CD that has Win98 drivers. Not that many do these days, as it's too much trouble to provide drivers for a $10 item.

5. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Thanks all, i found a battery at Tiger Direct

Where would the Sand disk go,slot wise

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Depends if card reader in the PC/Laptop - which we don't have details of - so as asked before

7. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Right sorry, its a older IBM Think Pad

Pentium 4 3.2 GHz

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks - depends on the exact model of your old thinkpad - some laptops do have card readers on them - you may be able to see if you have any via the device manager
    Press the Windows key (bottom left of the keyboard} and at the same time press the R key, now in the search box that appears - type devmgmt.msc

Then click on the +sign against disk Drivers
    See if you anything listed like - SD/MMC Disk Drive, Memory Disk Drive
    Also any slot on the machine that maybe labelled.

9. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I have looked, dont see any and i check devise manager doesnt look like there isnt one

Thanks ETAF

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you will therefor need to 1) Connect the camera to the computer via a USB cable - usually supplied with the camera, but will need the driver software, also usually supplied on CD
    Drivers are available here http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=DSCS75 for download
    OR
    2) you will need to buy a USB card reader to connect to the computer SOMETHING like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-USB-2-0-MultiCard-Reader/dp/B000JJ3YDM/ref=pd_cp_ce_2 check the memory card you use is listed - there are numerous makes of these - some will be dedicated to just one card type.

11. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

ETAF

I can download via USB currently, i was just wondering if i could insert Sandisk in computer , maybe easier to manage pictures IE deleting old photos, very tedious doing it on camera

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    If you have the slots in the side of the laptop, which we discussed above and does not look like you have or buy one of those USB adapters, quite cheap, then you can just take the scandisk out and plug into the computer and copy across - once copied - it should be easy just to delete all images in the camera - there should be an option to delete them all at once.

If the camera is connected by USB - it should be possible to see the memory card as a drive on your computer and you can delete from there if you want to delete selective images

13. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I will just delete them from the camera, i dont a tonne of pictures, thanks again

14. antimoth

antimoth

There should be a format function in your camera menu. It will delete all the pics on the memory stick right away. Not tedious at all. Use it carefully now and in the future, because it will delete everything.

...... although there are programs that could get them back IF you were able to insert the card in your PC. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice