1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sony handycam dcr-hc483 + firewire = nothing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by eksty, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eksty

eksty Thread Starter

hi. i have a dcr-hc48e handycam with a dcra-c155 docking station... . I tried to copy movies through FIREWIRE, but my computer doesn't recognize it. i found out in other problems with other handycams that there are switches like UBS on/off that can be toggled, which they say may prevent the firewire function if the usb switch is "on", but in my docking station, there is no switch like that. so i just need to insert the firewire cable with the powersupply connected to the handycam. there is no "dv in" that appears in my camera's LCD. my operating system is Windows xp service pack2. i would like to know how to transfer videos to my pc using firewire, because when i use the usb feature, it's recognized by the pc but the videos lose their quality. thanks a lot!:)

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

Be more specific, you say that your computer doesn't "recognize" it---what does that mean.

3. zznig

zznig

I have a sony handycam- DCR-hc52E, I would like to connect it with computer,so how should I do?

4. eksty

eksty Thread Starter

here's is my post from another forum, because i was already told to explain more about the problem..

the quoted sentences are the messages by the people who tried to help me in the forum where this came from.

from the forum : in cnet (http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_10...863902&tag=commProfileMain;profileBot#2863902)

first of all, thanks for replying to my post. have i said i plugged the usb and firewrie at the same time? hmm, don't worry i haven't done that.

"connect the firewire cable, you might consider changing the expectation. Nothing "pops up" on the desktop"

okay, this point is taken. then i don't need to wait for popups that the camera is already ready. thanks

"Is the firewire port in the Hardware profile and appear operational?"
    i think so. it says in the device manager that it is working, unluckily i think i cannot post a screenshot in this forum. the firewire card was already detected and was said to be functioning.

"You should not have to change anything on the camcorder - when properly configured... If you have made i.LINK changes to that Sony camcorder, either set them back or reset the camcorder to factory defaults."
    i haven't changed any of the settings related to the connectivity of the camera. It only contains data for usb use, and nothing for the firewire so i think there will be no problems regarding to that.

"With the firewire cable attached to the camcorder's DV port and the computer's firewire port - and the camcorder in "Play" or "VCR" mode, launch MovieMaker and "capture" the video... or whatever editor you are using and import the video."
    yes. i always set the camcorder in Play or vcr mode. i used moviemaker using the usb, it works but the video capture is very laggy, and quality is not good. When i use moviemaker when firewire is being used (usb not in use), it cannot detect my sony handycam. I remembered that when i use the usb mode, the selection in what device to capture is named 'SONY IMAGING VIDEO 2' or something like that. i still try to connect it every now and then, checking if there are any problems.

I also tried another handycam, dcr-hc30 on my pc. it's almost the same with my dcr-hc48e, here's the comparison with the same thing done to both:

dcr-hc48e dcr-hc30

connecting using usb: can be detected can be detected

display in camera lcd
    when connected in firewire: no DV IN displays DV IN

disp. in computer's
    capture program( moviemaker,
    videostudio,windv)
    when connected with firewire: not detected not detected
    or no capture device or no capture device

hope someone can still help me.thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice