1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Handycam Hi8

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kj41977, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kj41977

kj41977 Thread Starter

I am at a loss for information and I greatly need assistance. We have a Sony camcorder with nightshot capabilities and need to find video editing software that will work with the night shot. We have tried the software that comes with the camera as well as windows movie maker. These will upload the video but the end result does not show the nightshot picture, everything is still dark except for things directly in front of the camera. We increase brightness but then picture quality becomes very grainy and hard to see and breaks down resolution greatly. Surely there has to be some kind of video editing software made for just nightshot as I have seen many programs on tv where you can clearly see everything filmed. Anyone's help is greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. thecoalman

thecoalman

How are you tansferring the footage from the cam?

One thing to note is that dark video generally appears darker on a monitor that it does on a TV. If the final destination is a DVD for playback on a TV it's best to make some test burns to familiarize yourself with some of the differences you may see on monitor compared to a TV. Made for TV video always looks better on a TV.

Just to make it clear, it does look good on a TV when you play it direct from the cam to TV?

3. kj41977

kj41977 Thread Starter

We are uploading video to compuer via usb using the streaming usb function on the camera and then using windows movie maker as the software on the computer.
    We are wanting to be able to upload the video to our website as a clip as well as burn to DVD. When we connect the cam to the tv the playback shows everything that was recorded clearly but everything is dark when playing it on the computer.

4. thecoalman

thecoalman

So it would be a digital 8 cam? Hi-8 is analog.

Don't use the USB, it's low grade video. Use firewire(aka:1394, I-link). Transferring via USB will result in a huge hit on the quality, firewire transfer is an exact duplicate of what's on the cam.

From there you can import it into MovieMaker or other video editing application and convert it to WMV or other web suitable format. It may still appear slightly darker buas I mentioned that's common.

5. kj41977

kj41977 Thread Starter

It is a Digital 8, my bad :) I will try the firewire connection and see what results we get, thanks for your help. Does firewire work with windows or just mac?

6. thecoalman

thecoalman

It works on windows, basically it's plug and play. You can even control the cam from the PC... FF, REW etc. When you transfer the footage make sure you select DV-AVI, that's the format the cam uses. Should be about 14 GB's per hour.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!