1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Handycam to iMac connection?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by theroadsplit, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theroadsplit

theroadsplit Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with the Sony DCR-SR42 on my new iMac. I just can't even get the Mac to recognize it. I learned a lesson by assuming that the newest Sony gear with the newest Mac gear should just talk and get along well. I haven't even found any proposed solution out there except a $100 Mac software mentioned on the profile for the camera on c|net that I haven't been able to find. (See link below under "The Bad:") Anyone know where to find this software?

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...-32417452.html

Does anyone know if this connection, conversion, anything is possible or should I run it back to Best Buy as quick as possible and see if they'll at least exchange it? Any thoughts anyone?

Peace and Good,
    El Marko

2. VegasACF

VegasACF

Does this camera not have a FireWire connection? I know my Sony MiniDV cam has such a connection. All that you have to do is use the correct cable to connect it to the computer, launch iMovie (if it didn't launch on its own after connection), and import your video.

If it doesn't have a FireWire connection I would take it back. With luck you've got all the packaging and can get it back the way it came (best of luck with that!), and all you'll have to pay is a restocking fee.

3. ThreeDee912

ThreeDee912

There was a recent Mac update, 10.4.10, that added a bunch of compatibility for some new USB devices. Did you already try installing it?

Also, I recommend you use Firewire. A lot better than USB at data transfer. Most camcorders have a Firewire port.

I also found this link: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4205448&#4205448

$30, which might make it work.

4. krusej23

krusej23

I am having troubles connecting it to my Windows XP laptop. It takes forever(half an hour or longer) for it to connect to the computer and for my computer to recognize the camcorder. Is this normal(I'm assuming not) or is there something I am not doing right? Thanks!

5. VegasACF

VegasACF

Your question is better asked in one of our spacious Windows-themed fora. Since you're likely to get a larger number of those who know Windows inside and out in such a place you're more likely to get a swift and accurate response there.

Sorry to be of no more help than this.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice