1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony kdl-52v5100 hdmi port fried!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Phshed, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phshed

Phshed Thread Starter

Okay so my Sony kdl-52v5100 seems kaput... I was rearranging my room this weekend I had unplugged everything except the power to TV and had my ps3 plugged in and connected via hdmi...now I'm not sure how it happened but when I was back there fiddling with wires it seems the 3prong power plug from the ps3 was disconnected then reconnected quickly...there then was a surge that ran from the ps3 to the TV and fried the female hdmi socket on the bm3 mainboard... However after this happened there was no power or even standby lights to the television...my question is, could it not be powering on because the mainboard is fried at the hdmi port (blackened all the way up to the heatsink) or does it point to a power supply issue...the other two boards look perfect. I found a replacement board for 70 bucks on eBay...I would love if that was the answer..professional opinion? Thanks in advance, Nathan

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello there!

How do you know it was a surge? How do you know there wasn't another issue that may be causing the problem?

Unless your electrical system has a surge or if there may have been Electro Static Discharge, I would think a surge that would damage your equipment like that would be rare.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice