1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Laptop battery charger connection hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Palmettokid, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Palmettokid

Palmettokid Thread Starter

My wife has owned a sony vaio laptop for about a year and a half. Until last week we've had zero problems with this computer. It's mainly used while she sits in front of the TV, where she works while she watches TV. So it's spent 95% of it's life connected to the brick.

Last week we noticed that the plug from the brick, which plugs into the back of the computer, was very hot. Almost too hot to touch. The brick was warm also. I repositioned the brick on the carpet and checked it a few minutes later and it seemed cooler. I've also paid more attention the temperature of the plug and it's gone from warm to hot to warm, probably depending on the charging cycle.

It also seems to me that the plug is easier to remove that it was originally and I'm wondering of there is a connection problem which is causing the heat issue.

Has anyone experienced this on their sony? What is my next step?

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Oh dear.

IMMEDIATE service is needed.
    This indicates a poor connection, probably a soldered connection on the motherboard, left uncorrected it will (quite quickly) destroy the motherboard if use is continued.

JohnWill on this forum has many times posted the photos of damage that can be caused to motherboards in laptops from this matter, it's unfortunately not uncommon.

Motherboard replacement may exceed the value of the laptop, while replacement of the socket should be more reasonable.

laptops are not "nice" to service, just getting them apart without causing damage is an art.
    I would recommend an immediate trip to the nearest service agent.

3. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Palmettokid, (and the short legged one) yes it certainly sounds like the old power socket cooking the motherboard problem.
    The power supply being warmer than usual is a worry but it is possibly the first time you have given it much attention.

I must agree with the short legged one. (it really hurts)

Seek a proper technical repair.

Cheers qldit.
    Hows the weather there Kiwi! very cold in the mornings here 12degsC yuck!

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

12°C - what luxury.

Negative readings here in the mornings, presently 3.1°C outside.
    Still some snow on the ground, and more forecast. We have never had it this bad.
    How did the Australian soccer team do, or should I not ask. Still, you are resigned to losing I guess, it happens so often.

I really hope Palmettokid heeds the warnings. It's either an immediate repair or look at replacing the laptop in my view.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In case he needs more encouragement. :D

[​IMG]

6. qldit

qldit

Good Morning All, that image of John's is definitely the "coup-de-gras" with regard to describing this problem.
    The sickening thing is that it is so common in this day and age it is simple engineering incompetence!
    There is no excuse for that kind of design.

You know Kiwi, there was a movie called Dr. Zhivago many years ago, I had to get up and leave the theatre! That is the only time I had that problem!
    I can understand why so many of your people are coming over here!
    Your mention of temperature makes me feel so much better!
    It seems we are having another crack at the soccer, Croatia tonight, this is the last chance for round two entry!
    Where did the NZ team come?
    qldit.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not sure where the NZ team came, qldit.
    As we win almost everything anyway, it gets a bit boring, so I don't bother to watch....

We have not yet needed to resort to underarm bowling in cricket, either.

It's snowing again.

Attached Files:

8. qldit

qldit

G'day, Gee that looks cold!
    I have passed your co-ordinates to the North Koreans to send you some "heat"!!
    Keep warm old chap!
    Cheers, qldit.

9. Palmettokid

Palmettokid Thread Starter

Thanks all for your warnings. Yes I'm heading your advice. I'm only using the laptop long enough to backup files and prep it for a trip to the "Geek Squad". Also looking around the place to see if I have enough parts to throw something together while my laptop is away.

Thanks again for your suggestions and the weather reports. I'll let everyone know the final outcome.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/477137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice