1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Laptop, Windows Installer Corrupt, New install will not work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jettramel, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jettramel

jettramel Thread Starter

This is a Sony Viao that the model number is not listed on the sony site as a valid model number, it was full of viruses, and very slow to boot up, Windows installer is corrupt so I cannot uninstall anything or install any of the newer antivirus software recomended here.

I downloaded an update version of Windows installer and it worked once, after reboot I was back to the same problem I tried to install Bootvis and it said windows installer was not working or corrupt.

it is a friends computer and he did not get the sony xp discs with the computer, the lady cannot find them. So if i can fix this or can I install a legal xp disc I have and all the laptop drivers load alright since it is not listed on the sony site there is no support?

Viao PCG-Nv170

Thanks

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Found your model using the drop down boxes from the main page. If you searched, maybe they didn't like the lowercase "v" -- I wouldn't think their search would be case sensitive though.
    Here's the main support page for your laptop:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=PCGNV170&region_id=1
    All the drivers you need for XP are there.

You may be able to purchase the Recovery CD's but I couldn't find them for that model on the web site, was not listed in the list of available accessories, but can't hurt to call and ask them.

If the Product key label is missing, you can use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to get the key, then re-install XP. It will almost certainly require an OEM disk rather than a Retail disk.
    You could try a repair install, but if the system is full of viri your best bet would be to delete the partition and start over. They will lose all the pre-installed software if you go this route.

Obviously back up their data first.

Or you could post a hijack this log and then request this be moved to the Malware Removal Forum using the report button.

Go to Download HiJack This

• Click the Download HijackThis Installer link.
    • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
    • Click Install
    • Click the I Accept button on the License Agreement Window
    • The Main Menu window will open
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button.
    • It will scan, save the log in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis, and then the log will open in Notepad.
    • In Notepad, click on Edit > Select All then click on Edit > Copy to copy the entire log.
    • Paste the entire log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds is required or harmless.

Give as much information about the problem as you can.

• OS version and Service Pack installed
    • Exact text of any error messages
    • Any new Software or Hardware installed

From the Rules

Log Analysis/Malware Removal - In order to ensure that advice given to users is consistent and of the highest quality, those who wish to assist with security related matters must first graduate from one of the malware boot camp training universities or be approved by the administration as already being qualified. Those authorized to help with malware issues have a gold shield [​IMG] next to their name and authorized malware removal trainees have a blue shield [​IMG] next to their names. Anyone wishing to participate in a training program should contact a Moderator for more information.

* Be patient. The malware experts are very busy and will get to you. Older posts with zero replies will likely get responded to sooner, so don't bump your post or add information for at least 24 hours. You can edit your post during the first 24 hours if you need to add anything you forgot. To edit your post, click the EDIT button by the post you want to edit.

3. jettramel

jettramel Thread Starter

man you have been a great help. I have an OEM disc that I can give my friend that is legit, and if all the drivers are there that would be the best thing.

This thing takes almost 5 minutes to boot. I cannot even install hijack this because of the corrupt installer.

But any way you have got me on the right path any. This things has more hooks, hijackers and viruses than a crack whore on Saturday night.

Thanks(y)

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If the installer won't run, you can download the Hijackthis executable from that same link, no installation needed, just run it from the folder where you download it.

Note -- You may want to edit your post to keep it in the PG range, as this is considered a Family Forum.

Jerry

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Does Windows Installer show an error number, such as 1719? Or opening an application causes the Installer to run and then hang for several minutes?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!