1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sony memory stick format error

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jfran123, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfran123

jfran123 Thread Starter

hello, my sony memory stick says "format error" when i insert into my cybershot camera. i have about 100 pictures in it, anybody know if there is a way to retrieve the pictures before i reformat the memory stick? thanks.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

can you read/download the files when it's connected to your PC or a card reader?

3. jfran123

jfran123 Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. i will try having my PC or a card reader read the file. Do i need a specific program to read the file? adobe? sony?

4. kath100

kath100

Plug in your camera with the USB lead and turn it on.
    Double click My Computer and have a look for a camera icon.
    If it is there double click on it and any further folders that appear.
    You should then see your photos.
    Highlight them all and right click, select copy, go to My Pictures and right click and paste.
    :)

5. doggard

doggard

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

No...you should be able to see the files with windows explorer

7. jfran123

jfran123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the download site. i have downloaded the program. how do i retrieve files from the memory stick. it only has options for retrieving from sources: a:disk c:hard drive d:hard drive e:cd rom f:cd rom . here do i plug the usb cable from my digital camera? or where do i insert the memory stick? do i need a card reader? where does a card reader plug into. i have never used a card reader. thanks for your help.

8. jfran123

jfran123 Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice. i did try it and yes a camera icon does show up but when i click to "retrieve pictures from this camera" it would reply: 0 pictures. thanks again for your help.

9. doggard

doggard

Yes I assumed you had one and to answer you question they are USB devices which make the cards show up as seperate drives within explorer.

10. jfran123

jfran123 Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. it makes sense now. i could'nt figure out how the program pc inspector would read the files if it could'nt access the file itself. thanks again.

11. jfran123

jfran123 Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. The program was able to retrieve and fix all the "format error" files. :)

12. jfran123

jfran123 Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. The program you recommended was able to retrieve and fix all the "format error" files. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/313577