1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony trinitron television

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Teramano, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Teramano

Teramano Thread Starter

Hi I have a question that I hope someone will be able to help me with. We have 2 of the same televsions. The sony trinitron. The television that we have up stairs has not been used as much as the one we are having trouble with. Recently we noticed that when we turn the television on the channel in the upper right hand corner has been moving to the rights. We now can only see one of the two numbers. At the bottom of the screen when we are trying to view scores the same thing is happening, but on both sides of the screen. On the left we can barely see the first number of say a football score & on the right same like the channel, we can only see one number. I have never seen a television do this. The television up stairs the channel numbers are at least an inch or more to the from the right upper hand corner. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Thanks Teramano

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Any big magnets near the screen? I saw one distorted from a fluorescent tube light that was too close and had a big coil inside it for a transformer. Speakers can do the same thing.

It may need degaussing, though by the time Trinitrons came out I think all TV's did that automatically.

It could simply be old age, I suppose with outputs weakening and failing to produce a full image.

3. TTY

TTY

sounds like a yoke going bad the picture is effectively moving toward you and you are losing the outer edges of the picture. Some other parts can cause this but you will need a repair job, probably cheeper to replace it. Yoke issues also occur with the picture loosing sharpness, if the picture is still good and you want to open the set and look for Horizontal and Vertical Width controls you may be able to bring the size back to normal. Horizontal control may be a coil you would need a plastic tool for it don't use metal. Be careful it you decide to take this mission.

4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Since this question does not have anything at all to do with Technological News and information, I moved it to a more appropriate forum.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!