1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony TV: Snaps, Crackles and Pops | No Signal

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by lotuseclat79, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

I have a Sony KV27FS17 TV - an FD Trinitron WEGA.

When I turn it on, it now does one of several things:
    1) Snaps, crackles and pops or
    2) No Signal with black screen shows channel number or
    3) turns on Ok with audio and picture (sometimes after being on for some time warming up, and other times right away as it should always be).

It was Ok last night, and this morning but with occasional poping, here and there.

Anyone have an idea of what component is starting to fail or failing here?

I have a digital converter box I bought, but have not yet set up. I'm wondering if I set it up now will it avoid the circuit having problems and work with high def, or should I expect it to behave the same.

Then again, the set is at least 4 years old. Is it worth getting it fixed, or should I just get a new HDTV?

Tia,

-- Tom

2. buffoon

buffoon

Sounds like a service job, I'm afraid. It could be one or all of may things and really needs to be on an analisis system by a Sony (or otherwise well qualified) repair shop. That way you should also get a good repair estimate to tell you whether it's worth it. Is the digital converter box an external tuner for digital TV? Whatever it is, I suspect it needs to be linked to the TV to pass signals it picks up into the TV.
    Don't think that'll help with the prob since the TV is on the blink and will be with external inputs aswell.

3. lotuseclat79

Hi bufoon,

Unfortunately, I think you are right, but on the bright side maybe it won't cost an arm and a leg to find out, and if it does get fixed, it probably won't cost as much as a new HDTV, eh?

-- Tom

4. buffoon

buffoon

With these new hi-tech sets we're long since past just replacing a valve. I'm not a TV tech, so I keep my mitts off of them. Could be the
    supply unit, a capacitor, a printed circuit, a fuse. Trouble is you need a midget to get in there physically. Yeah, I agree. Having it on an analysis stand and having a (hopefully and probably) small part replaced will come cheaper than a new set. Good luck.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

"Snaps, crackles and pops" sounds like the flyback transformer may be arcing. I have no idea what it costs to get a CRT TV repaired these days.

6. wacor

wacor Banned

sets are not so cheap right now since CRTS are hard to find.

how much did you pay for it??

7. lotuseclat79

Hi buffoon,

Here's a late breaking update on this problem:
    Recently, I have been able to give it a good wack on either side to get the picture to come on provided audio came on when I powered up the TV. Then it just wouldn't get more than a black screen with the channel display and a No Signal message in the lower left corner.

Ok, so I called up my local TV repair shop (a real pro) who has repaired the set before. He returned my call today, and given the symptoms he advised me to hook up the dtv converter. It is now working ok - had to futz around with the remote for the dtv converter and I have some stations with a weaker signal strength than desirable, but it looks ok for now. I may still take it in to be repaired if I experience other side effect symptoms of the problem.

-- Tom

8. wacor

wacor Banned

Tom what are you using for an antenna

I bought a set of rabbit ears that have a signal boost to be able to get real Hi Def.

before cable we could get all the local channels real clear. when i tried regular rabbit ears on the hi def TV I could not get the hi def

i should add that i had to try a couple of these signal boost rabbit ears. the first one did not work well. i bought them where i could return them so it was no risk

9. lotuseclat79

Hi Bill,

I bought the following at Sears: Phillips (indoor amplified antenna) VHF/UHF/FM/HDTV digital - Optimized for HDTV (works best within 20 miles)/50db amplification: MANT510 for $39.99.

My dtv converter box is from Radio Shack - Digitalstream DTX9950 w/analog pass-through.

After futzing around with the Sony remote program code you have to get from a table in the Install Guide for the dtv converter box to be able to use the universal remote to program the channels for the new setup, I did get a number of channels.

The result of this experiment is that my TV still snaps, crackles and pops with horizontal lines and after a while it reverts to the black screen with just the channel number and the No Signal message. Looks like using the tuner circuit in the dtv converter box only works partially in my case, i.e. the problem is more than just the tuner circuit.

Oh. well, the beast is 103 lbs. and I have to secure it to my hand truck to get it down the stairs of my split-level to the garage and in the car.

-- Tom

P.S. You might want to delete your duplicate post.

10. buffoon

buffoon

Well, good luck with getting it down the stairs (y) because that is what I think you'll have to do. The problem is clearly in the TV.

11. lotuseclat79

Looks like I had one too many connections from the dtv converter box to tv - should be only red/yellow/white to bypass tv's tuner circuit. I had antenna out rf cable from dtv converter box to tv uhf/vhf antenna input which bypassed using dtv converter box tuner circuit - ooops - my bad! Now using dtv converter box's tuner circuit and picture no longer snaps, crackles and pops. Once again my tv repair guy saves the day after he asked how many connections I had from the dtv converter box to the tv - when I talked to him on the phone this AM. I had the tv on a hand truck at top of stairs ready to go down to the garage. :)

He recommended getting an 8-rib bow-tie antenna for better reception rather than a rabbit ear model like Phillips I am using now as described previously. He has one in his attic, so they do not have to be installed outdoors.

-- Tom

12. wacor

wacor Banned

13. buffoon

buffoon

The devil sits within the detail.:) By circumnavigating the TV's tuner
    (where the problem somewhere lies) there you go. Bet you wouldn't have found the solution if you hadn't put the TV on the cart. Murphy's law
    (or sod's law, as the Brits would say);)

14. lotuseclat79

Well I found out why I can't get certain stations in my area to come in. Here is a two step method you can use that will facilitate finding the best reception, antenna type, and help determine how far away from transmission towers of channels in your area your location is:

1) Visit the web site Tiny Geo-code and give it your address location, town, state, etc. It will return fairly accurately your latitude, longitude. Use the example url at the bottom of the web page, only the part that is:
    http://tinygeocoder.com/create-api.php?q=<fill in your street address, town, state>
    and paste it into the address location bar of your web browser.

2) Visit the web site Antenna Web. Click on the "more options" link at the bottom of the web page. Feed in only your zip code and your latitude, longitude coordinates from the previous step.

You will get a choice of three options to display the output: all stations, digital stations only, or analog stations only. I chose to print out the digital only and analog only station lists. The output gives a link to the type of antenna recommended, call sign of station, channel #, network, city&state, live date, compass heading, miles from, and frequency assignment.

The really useful information is the compass heading, miles from, and antenna type recommendation. I am glad I still have my map reading compass!

The reason I don't get some of my favorite channels is that the live date is stated to be post transition (February 17, 2009) - bummer. So, it looks like I will take my set into the shop after all on Saturday morning to be fixed anyway.

So, it tells me that I should get a small multi-directional antenna, and the antenna mark on the box to look for when buying the antenna. Looks like I have the right kind (Phillips), however, I have noticed that my signal strength is barely in the green by the meter display on the dtv converter's remote. I am going to collect the antenna information that the video tech service guy told me over the phone about antennas and post it here. I have just tonight been looking at hdtv antennas (bow tie+long range: 50+ miles) as my location is toward the bottom of a hill and I am guessing that is causing some of the poor reception I am currently getting.

I found the web site Choosing the Best HDTV Antenna very helpful.

-- Tom

15. lotuseclat79

Well, I discovered another web site that I highly recommend with regard to HDTV antenna selection, and review - it also refers back to AntennaWeb (a good omen) - it gets my "Best of the Web" for its uncompromising approach to bring you the best information available with regard to Antennas!

Did you know that there is no such thing as an "HDTV Antenna"?

Go to HDTv Antenna Labs for a Step-by-step HDTV Antenna Selection Guide, and HDTV Antenna Reviews and Information.

-- Tom

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice