1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Vaio Atheros AR9285, No Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sjowens1022, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjowens1022

sjowens1022 Thread Starter

Hi all, I own a Sony Vaio VPCCW computer, Windows 7 64 bit home edition. My laptop has an Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter which I have updated the drivers for recently, I believe. I'm at a university that has multiple access points to their wireless network, so I DO NOT have login access to my router. Upon connecting to the wireless network and opening a web browser, I'm supposed to be redirected to a little submission form page where I enter a university username and password so I can have access to the internet.

Lately, I have been connecting to the wifi network and I have not been redirected to the login page, instead I get a "page not found" type error in chrome, firefox, IE, etc. I should note that when I am experiencing these troubles, PCs and Macs that are in the same room as my laptop do not have an issue connecting at all. This problem occurs very randomly, and it fixes itself after about 20 minutes. It would be very annoying to not have internet when I need it, however. I have read up a bit about similar errors on this forum and so I know that whoever reads this will probably ask for a Xirrus screenshot, so I have attached that. Unfortunately right now I am connected just fine, so I didn't get the chance to grab an ipconfig text for pasting here. I'll try restarting my laptop to force the problem, and I'll edit it in/reply if I can get it to work.

My network is "webster-wifi"

Thanks for looking into my problem!

Edit: Here is my ipconfig /all paste!

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Sam>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Sam-VAIO
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : webster.edu

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2A-81-58-EA-34-45
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : webster.edu
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-81-58-EA-34-45
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9469:75f:1177:6675%14(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.78.144(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:29:14 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 28, 2011 12:29:24 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.76.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 388792664
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-28-97-8B-00-24-BE-B5-A4-CE

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.20.100
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-81-58-C8-EE-57

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mariahall.webster.edu
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
    net Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-BE-B5-A4-CE

Tunnel adapter isatap.webster.edu:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : webster.edu
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:3c79:a13:b530:bb18(Prefe
    rred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c79:a13:b530:bb18%17(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Sam>

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Sony's web site.

You've got too much of a good thing there. :) With those strong signals you are bound to get some interference except with the channel 6 network, and you have no way of forcing that.

The graphed signal is less constant than normal. Don't know what caused it--could be that you were simply on the move, or a problem with the signal, or your adapter was frequently connecting to a different network, or maybe something else.

When you catch an ipconfig /all and/or an Xirrus output for the problem condition post it in a new reply. If you edit your original post we will not get notification of that, and even if we happen to see it we may be confused.

3. sjowens1022

Thanks for your reply and advice, TerryNet.

I installed this driver appropriate for my model and network adapter from the Sony website:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VPCCW290X&upd_id=5359&os_group_id=6

And it appears to have installed, though it kept telling me that the driver was only compatible with Windows Vista/7 (which I do have...strange). I did get it to work eventually. The problem persists, however.

I trust that you have seen my ipconfig /all because of your advice that I should have posted it in a reply instead of editing.

So if the signal strengths are too strong, and they're all on the same channel, there's too much "interference" and I can't do anything about it at all? Would it help to move to different places to find a spot where only one signal stands out most? I'm not very savvy in this language, as you might be able to tell.

Again, thanks!

4. sjowens1022

I thought this might be interesting. The wireless is working right now, so I took the opportunity to get a screen grab of Xirrus while I wasn't experiencing any internet problems.

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You trusted the wrong guy; I didn't notice the line that said "Edit: Here is my ..." and thought that ipconfig and Xirrus was for a good connection. :D

OK, so that first one is for the problem time and the post # 4 is for a good time. I really can't explain it. Just looking at either Xirrus output I wouldn't be surprised if you never got a connection, much less internet access.

While I have not experienced it (haven't been in the right, or wrong, environment) I know that when there are multiple networks with the same SSID sometimes Windows 7 will switch from one to another, even choosing a weaker signal. Obviously when that happens there will be at least a momentary interruption of service. If that is happening and you keep an Xirrus window open you can probably see that happening.

If you can find a place where only one, or only one strong, network is detected you can determine whether this multiple networks is the cause or whether there is something else going on.

In case you are not aware, networks with a channel difference of at least 5 (e.g., channels 1 and 6) will not interfere; the closer the channel numbers the more chance for interference.

6. sjowens1022

I hate to bump a semi-old thread, but I felt that I should post the solution that I found. I found that Google Chrome was the problem, apparently it times out more quickly than other browsers. The slow response time of my university's log-in page must have been the source of the problem, using Firefox allows me to log in.

I sure wish Google Chrome had an option to edit the timeout limit! I'm extremely surprised that I hadn't noticed this solution before, but thanks for all you read the thread in an effort to help.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you very much for posting the cause of the problem. I was really stumped. Actually, I'm still a little confused. I thought that you were experiencing the same issue with at least three browsers (Chrome, Firefox and IE)?

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

8. sjowens1022

For the sake of your tech support knowledge, I should admit that I probably smudged the truth a bit up there. I had convinced myself that it wouldn't work in these browsers, so I didn't actually try it again. That's not to say that I don't have a memory of trying it and failing, so maybe my memory is the REAL source of the problem here. Hahaha.

In all honesty, I'm not quite sure yet that this browser-switch is the fix-all for the problem, but it has worked every time. When I start up my computer, I open Chrome and I get a "page not found" error. I start up Firefox, log-in to my university's wifi, and then open up chrome (I prefer it...though the new firefox is tempting, now that I know of a Chrome fault). I haven't had a problem since I started doing this. I sincerely remember having the very same issue with Firefox. If I know myself well enough, opening Firefox would have been my first troubleshooting instinct. Nevertheless, it seems to be the true solution.

It all kind of works out well though, because I now know a little bit more about wi-fi interference that I wouldn't if I hadn't ignored the real source of the problem! Hahaha.

Thanks very much for your time, TerryNet, and sorry for evidently being a little dishonest in my original post!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!