1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Vaio doesn't power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by normoa, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normoa

normoa Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm looking into why my son-in-laws Vaio VGN-FS115Z laptop doesn't power up. Would appreciate any pointers.

Have done all the obvious (reseated CPU, removed etc memory, run with power supply, checked out HDD elsewhere).

Symptons are :-

• Power button works , turns machine on and off.
    • No backlight, no screen, no Bios beeps (even if you remove memory etc)
    • 3 leds (Caps lock / Numlock / Shift lock) all stay on.
    • All chips get warm after a while.
    • No sounds (beeps or otherwise)
    • CPU fan doesn't seem to start up - not sure if it needs the CPU to get really hot first, though.
    Almost as if it's lost a power line, or CPU is dead, but drive, battery, mains, wifi leds all come on and appear to work fine.

Any pointers gratefully received...

Cheers,

2. CDATech

CDATech

I've seen this on your identical model of laptop during a service for a client. We RMA'd it back to SONY and they ended up replacing the motherboard. At least that's what the cryptic service notes said when it was returned.

In my own technical opinion though it doesn't look good. When your motherboard doesn't respond at all...it's never a good thing.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's what I wopuld have said at this point is shot motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/712389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice