1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Vaio Lagging Terribly

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by arsharma, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arsharma

arsharma Thread Starter

So I have Sony Vaio for which the model VPC-F1290x and about a two weeks ago it started lagging terribly and has crashed on me at least once every day where it cuts to the "blue-screen-o'death" but then restarts. I have taken run norton several times and have no viruses, i have also taken to best buy and i have no viruses as well. Also they were not also able to help me with the lag after removing a lot of programs and a few non-important services off my comp.

On top of all the lagging/crashing, my laptop doesn't show my Atheros AR9287 network adapter under the device manager even though its what is in the laptop (i resorted to using a belkin usb network adapter).

Is there any way someone can help me with both these issues? I would sincerely appreciate it. Its getting really ridiculous as I am a college student and need my computer to work. And plus, this laptop is only a year old and all these issues just so happen to occur after my warranty was up in august.

some specs:

Intel Core i7 740QM 1.73GHz
    Nvidia GeForce GT 330M
    4GB of DDR3 memory 1784MB used up
    Windows 7 Home Premium

2. nickgr5

nickgr5

3. arsharma

arsharma Thread Starter

That's the thing, all the virus scans by my norton 360 and best buy's geek squad software shows that this computer has no viruses.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can you post a few of your latest minidump files? They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. ZIP them and attach them to your next post.

Right-click the minidump file, select Send To, then select Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Windows will compress (zip) the file and save the new zipped file in the same location.

If you get an Access Denied error, disable the UAC.

If the Minidump folder is empty, you'll need to configure Windows to create minidump files:

How to Configure Windows to Create Minidump Files

5. arsharma

arsharma Thread Starter

Hey Phantom, so I go to my minidump folder, I select the latest file and I get go to click "send to" "compressed (zipped) folder" and it gives me a pop up window that says "file not found or no read permission" and this is after I turned my UAC scale all the way down. Any suggestions?

6. arsharma

arsharma Thread Starter

Nevermind, noob mistake, i forgot to restart my comp x) here they are.

Attached Files:

7. Phantom010

The minidump files are showing hardware as the probable cause for the crashes. However, it doesn't say what device. You may be on the right track with your Atheros AR9287 network adapter?

8. arsharma

arsharma Thread Starter

Do you think its an issue that could be resolved by working with the driver related to it? I've tried to download the related drivers on the esupport site, but it doesn't seem to help.

9. Phantom010

Well, it's either a driver problem or the device itself.

10. arsharma

arsharma Thread Starter

Damn... time to spend some money then. Thanks for your help Phantom, at least now I know more specifically what's wrong with my comp.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!