1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Vaio Laptop Battery Replacement Windows 7 (Plugged in, not charging)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hollidog, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hollidog

hollidog Thread Starter

I saw a warning about trying to replace my Sony Laptop battery...that it wouldn't work with Windows 7, but the battery sales person convinced me it would. Now I've spent all day trying to figure out a solution, and have found none.

The battery came with a driver disk which won't load cause it was for a 32 bit, mine is 64 bit.

I tried uninstalling the "Batteries > Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" and reinstalling, but it gave me an error message saying it couldn't install.

I went to Microsoft and downloaded all the updates.

I tried this...but could not find "ISBmgr.exe" under the start up tab.
    • From either the Start menu or command prompt run MSCONFIG.exe
    • On Vista machines, Windows will prompt you for permission to continue
    • In the System Configuration window, click the "Startup" tab and find the item containing "ISBMgr.exe"
    • Uncheck the box for the "ISBMgr.exe"
    • Click "Ok" to save and accept the changes and restart the laptop
    • You may be prompted on restart that Windows is running in selective mode. Just uncheck the notification option on bottom right.
    I followed a few other iterations of those above steps with battery in, battery out, and other pokie turn yourself around things and am now stuck.
    The new battery does not charge even when everything is shut down and plugged in. Yet, my old battery charges fine. It just won't hold a charge for longer than 20 minutes. The old battery is two years old.
    Any other ideas?

2. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

3. hollidog

hollidog Thread Starter

Thanks Dave,

I did install a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate on a laptop that previously had Windows Vista. The battery is supposed to be OEM, but I didn't buy it from Sony. They have offered to take it back (ship it back to Nevada), but I'm jumping on a long flight and would so love to have some computer time. Oh well.

Ron

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/937923