1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony VAIO laptop monitor went blank

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ebloomquist, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebloomquist

ebloomquist Thread Starter

I have a Sony VAIO laptop (PCG-FX340) that's about 3 years old running Windows XP Home edition. I leave it on most of the time with a 10 minute sleep on it. It was working fine through last night. When I tried to use it this morning, the display is blank. I have an external monitor hooked up now while I am troubleshooting this. I am pretty sure that the LCD back light bulb has not burned out as when I attempt to switch between the external monitor and the laptop monitor, it flickers once, then goes black again. The laptop has not been dropped or otherwise messed with since it last worked. I have tried to adjust the brightness with no success. When it is booting, I don't see any of the DOS activity either. Any thoughts?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. When the computer is first starting up, without the external monitor connected, is there any video on the screen? If you move the screen like you are going to close it, does it flicker as well?

3. ebloomquist

Thanks for the welcome - this looks like a great forum. I'll try the reboot w/out external monitor and repost.

4. ebloomquist

It flickers when I am powering the laptop on (with and without the external monitor) and also when I try to switch between monitors. It does not appear to flicker when I am closing it.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was away.

My best guess is that the LCD is almost (or pretty much) dead. I've seen some laptops flicker when you try to close them, thus the reason for my question, there is usually a short in the wiring that connects the monitor to the laptop itself.

6. ebloomquist

Bummer. I'll check into the possibility of having it replaced. Thanks for your reply.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice