1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Vaio laptop VPCEB16FG won't boot normally

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kis69, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kis69

Kis69 Thread Starter

Sony Vaio laptop VPCEB16FG (windows 7 hp) has black screen & dies on normal boot. Using external monitor & safe mode boot ok - laptop screen is black (torch shows nil) the monitor ok except 4 x bands of vertical pink/green stripes, so readability 75%. Normal boot crashes. I have disabled auto restart but BSOD? flashes for 1 sec before monitor is pixilated all over. I have tried system restore points (still prob), cleaned the fan and applied new thermal paste (via YouTube), installed new win7hp, Malwarebytes reports 0 errors including in rootkit, tried & failed (vars reasons – can detail!) to update graphics driver. ! in device drivers are Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter (can’t load drivers (code 31) and Ethernet Control (no driver found)

Thanks in advance for any help - love my old pink Sony!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

What is a Win7hp ?

Anyways, you have got till Jan 2020 to install Win 10 because Win 7 is going to be unsupported after that.

Go download MS Media Creation Tool. Run it to Generate a Windows setup DVD or USB memory stick. Then boot with that and do Setup > Custom. Delete all partitions and let setup continue. Maybe it will find a suitable network driver for you.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Sony VAIO VPCEB16FG (support site)

It appears to be an almost 10 years old model which sold in Asia and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4. Kis69

Kis69 Thread Starter

Thankyou Lunarlander - was trying to be brief Win7hp = Windows 7 Home Premium. I know support is limited. I upgraded to Lenovo with windows 10 - gave the Sony to my husband for his Ebay interests. Now he's on my Lenovo a lot lol. Can't get definitive answer on whether Windows 10 is compatible with Vaio VPCEB16FG - some threads indicate is causes driver problems. I found a blue screen viewer and looking at stop codes now. If I can't fix under Win7 I'll try your solution.

5. Kis69

Kis69 Thread Starter

Hi Flavallee, Yes it's old - bought 2nd hand in Oz - O.S. as you describe. Are you politely saying I should dump it? Understand if you are :) I downloaded a blue screen viewer and looking at stop codes now.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Kis69:

I was only advising you how old that laptop is and which Windows operating system it came with.
    I wasn't suggesting you should dump it.

These are the listed hardware specs for it.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit can probably be installed in it, but it's my guess it will run like a turtle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Kis69

Kis69 Thread Starter

Blue screen viewer pointed to bug code 0x00000116 with atikmdag.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, dxgmmsys1.sys and ndis.sys ndis6.20 driver. So then installed windows 10 as advised. All went well (though with at times 11 vertical bands on the screen making it difficult to read) I got past setting up network and microsoft user to 'almost done - leave everything to us - dont turn off" before it crashed. The screen is largely unreadable. It keeps re-starting and I kept hitting F8 and got to repair mode but could not repair - a file is in sys32logfiles\sys\frttrail.txt? Dont know how to boot in safe mode if that would even help now - perhaps there's nothing more to do? thanks K

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Your vertical lines on the screen may be an indicator of a video component failure. The driver install failure is also pointing to that. When hardware goes, Windows setup may choke.

F8 no longer brings up Safe Mode in Windows 10. You have wait for the login screen and hold Shift key and click Restart button on the screen.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you have access to another computer, make a linux live USB stick. (If you don't know how to do it, I will give instructions). Boot the old laptop from the USB stick. If the laptop likes that, then consider installing linux . Your husband should be able to got to eBay on linux. All he really needs is a working browser.

10. Kis69

Kis69 Thread Starter

Thankyou, I appreciate all the help - but he's chosen to gift himself a new laptop!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice