1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Vaio Laptop Wireless and Ethernet Network Connection not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sam_dhse, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sam_dhse

sam_dhse Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop . Spilled some liquid and it is not able to connect to internet using Wifi or through ethernet cable.The USB ports also have stopped working so i cannot connect it to a wireless adapter.

Showed this to Geeksquad agent at Bestbuy and he told me that this could be a motherboard problem and nothing much can be done about it.

So basically i have a working laptop that i cannot to internet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sam

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. sam_dhse

sam_dhse Thread Starter

Thanks etaf!

It looks like my SR290 Vaio has a 34mm PC Expresscard slot.

What kind of expresscard should i buy?

Something like this will it work ?Its a USB 3.0 express card bus.
    http://www.cellularfactory.com/laptop/SONY/3/428673/

Do i need a USB 3.0 expresscard bus , or is a usb 2.0 fine? I assume i also need to buy wireless usb adapter along with this ?

Thanks,
    Sam

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yea something like that - its up to you if you want to pay the extra for USB 3- as thats quite a new introduction and only useful if you want to do any thing high speed - I would think for connecting wireless adapter and printers etc USB 2 would be fine
    Its quite possible that the express card may also be damaged - so may not work , so if you can find somewhere that will let you try it out first

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!