1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony VAIO Notebook hangs when loading Windows XP – even in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hate Computers, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hate Computers

Hate Computers Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

We have a Sony VAIO notebook (Model no. PCG-K315B), running Windows XP Home. It’s been a pretty good and reliable laptop, and we’ve never had any problems with it – until today!

It boots up fine, and the black Windows XP loading screen comes on as normal and seems to be starting Windows, but then the little green ‘progress’ bar slows right down and the screen just goes black. It doesn’t shut down; it just hangs on a black screen.

I tried starting in Safe Mode, but it hangs on the screen which shows the list of drivers etc. It gets to a driver called atisgkaf.sys then just hangs.

I tried the ‘Last known good configuration’ option, which started the Windows loading screen but the same thing happened. The progress bar got slower and slower, then the screen just went black.

Also, the LED lights now seem to be acting differently.... When the laptop is first switched on, the LED lights appear as they should, but when the machine hangs trying to load Windows, the AC and battery lights start to flash on and off at the same time.

I have tried taking the battery out and reinserting it, but it made no difference. I have tried booting it without the battery inserted, and I have tried using just the battery without the AC. Nothing has made any difference.

I don’t have any recovery or repair disks for the laptop or Windows, plus I don’t even know what exactly needs repairing. I haven’t installed any software or hardware recently that could’ve caused some sort of conflict, so I am a bit baffled. I don’t know what to do next!

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

x

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/601421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice