1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sony vaio notebook problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by christianne, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christianne

christianne Thread Starter

Does anyone here have any idea how to take apart a Sony Vaio notebook (specifically a pcgfrv31)? I finally got a new keyboard, and it seems that you have to take apart the case to be able to replace it. Problem is, I've taken out every concievable screw on the chassis (including the two underneath the battery bay, the one underneath the ram chip, and the six beneath the hard drive caddy) - and the stupid thing still won't come apart.

Either that, or if anyone here wants to buy a used Sony Vaio PCGFRV31 2.4 Ghz laptop (no hdd - I have to keep that for myself since I already replaced the one that came from the factory; 2 PCMCIA slots, 3 USB ports, VGA port, LPT printer port, 56k modem, 1 Ethernet LAN port, CDRW/DVD Rom combo drive, optional floppy drive bay (I just found that yesterday!!!), Sony memory stick formatter, DVD recovery kit (purchased from Sony)). I'd throw in the keyboard (brand new from Sony - the one that's on there from factory has a dysfunctional number 4 key) and a second hood assembly (Sony sent me the wrong part, I never bothered to return it) and a copy of Windows XP Pro upgrade for a good price. It's got obvious scratches on the top and bottom of the case - mostly from my 1 year old son, some from me trying to get the silly thing apart. I've been running it for two years without a hitch other than the first hard drive quitting on me - that was an easy fix, just bought a new one and kept going. No problems on the install there or anything.

So, the point is - please either help me fix it or somebody buy it for $700!!!!

Thanks a bunch - btw, it does work with the keyboard that's on it, but it's a pain in the butt to be working on javascript without a $ symbol. I've been having to use a secondary USB keyboard to do my programming on that system).

Thanks a bunch,
    Kris

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I'm surprise you have to take it that far apart. Usually there are either only a few screws underneath marked with a K or just a couple of tabs at he screen edge of the keyboard.
    I can't get into the only site I found on Google: Try searching for:
    Code:
    Sony Vaio notebook "keyboard removal"  frv31

3. Dabblingpond

Dabblingpond

Hi there Youg Lady I think I can help you with your Vaio
    it is a good laptop and if you go to the Web site (Vaio Village ) post your ? there someone will help you they have a great gourp over there
    Pcg-grt100 laptop
    love it ---have had lots ot laptops by far the best -- :)

4. christianne

christianne Thread Starter

I ended up buying a 10 dollar cd from e-bay that has my service manual on it. I tried everything to get that %^&ing laptop apart, and nothing worked - so I'm just going to wait and see how to do it the right way - thanks for your help kids :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice