1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sony vaio power issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dreamwave, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dreamwave

dreamwave Thread Starter

My sony vaio VGNFS790P is not showing any signs of power: no lights, sound or any other reaction. I have tested the adapter, power cable continuity, and internal power cable continuity. The laptop was supposedly working when last powered down. What is likely the problem?

2. dreamwave

dreamwave Thread Starter

P.S. I have checked power supply continuity up to where the internal cable connects to the motherboard, various power tests with the battery in and out and the same for the AC adapter.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try removing the Cmos battery for a few minutes then replace it. If it's soldered to the board use your multimeter to find the -ve connection and unsolder that

That will re-set the Cmos settings to default values and might get it going.

If that does nothing I'm afraid you will need a new motherboard. I would try Ebay if you can fit one yourself.

EDIT : you could also try fitting a 'new' Cpu if there is a Cpu socket on the motherboard.

4. dreamwave

dreamwave Thread Starter

'-ve'? What does that stand for? P.S. Will it also reset those settings if I just remove the CPU? The CMOS battery is really hard to access on my vaio.

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    '-ve' stands for negative. If you do unsolder the Cmos battery it's important you disconnect the negative lead because most soldering irons are earthed/grounded and it would short out the battery if you tried to unsolder the +ve/positive lead. Not a good idea !

Removing the Cpu won't reset the Bios Cmos settings but you could try it anyway just in case the Cpu isn't connecting properly in the socket.
    There's a chance the Cpu itself has failed, if you can buy the exact same type cheaply (Ebay ?) then replacing it is worth a shot.

I would try the Cmos battery disconnect first though.

Is it easier to get to the Cpu than the Cmos battery on that Vaio ?

6. dreamwave

dreamwave Thread Starter

Yes, the CPU is easier to access than the CMOS.

7. dreamwave

dreamwave Thread Starter

I tried removing the cmos for about 5 minutes, to no avail. Do you really think that fitting a new cpu would do the trick?

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think it's either the Cpu or the motherboard. Replacing the Cpu will probably be cheaper but you will have to check the prices and decide if you're willing to risk it.

I would have a good search on Ebay and see what's available. You might be lucky and find a motherboard with a Cpu for a good price.

9. dreamwave

dreamwave Thread Starter

At this point I am unsure if it is worth it to pursue it further. Since I have a new (to me) Dell Vostro with windows 7 that only has software issues, What is your opinion?

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think your Vaio has an Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz Cpu and these are very cheap on Ebay, I found one here in the UK for £1.49 which is about $2 !

I'd like to confirm that's the correct Cpu though so please include the full ID info that's on the laptop's base in your next post. There should be a service tag and another ID beginning with PCG-...

At that sort of price I'd go for it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1110083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice