1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony vaio power supply question...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DoTheDew, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Thread Starter

Hello,

I've been looking at a friends computer(Sony VAIO) that shuts down randomly. It's like someone pulls the plug or a power failure. Sometimes it runs for hours, other times minutes. It will turn back on if it sets a minute. I checked the temps in the BIOS and its not running that hot (CPU-41c, MB-22c) I suspect its the power supply, but not sure. Only way to tell is to change it out with another PSU, but I've read that sony uses proprietary hardware. Is this true for the PSU too? The reason for asking is I don't want to fry the computer.

Thanks for any help on this!:)

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

well i dont see how they can at least in processor, memory,cd rom, and powersupply wise. So should be able to get a new power supply for it even the micro atx power supplies are avalible. but before i would do some thing like replacing powersupply get compressed air and hose the dust out of the power supply.

3. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Thread Starter

My friend took the PSU to a reputalble computer parts store and they benched the PSU. It tested bad. Now the BAD news... It has to be a Sony PSU to bolt up to the case. Found where to get the replacement PSU, but they are out of stock and it cost $120. The guys at the parts store did tell him, that because of the bad PSU, the rest of the components might have suffered some damage from the bad power source.:mad: So now I guess that time will tell..... He really does'nt want to buy a new computer, but it's not looking good.

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

is this just case of the hole not lining up or is the powersupply too big. because if the mounting holes dont line up, I dont see no reason to pop new hole in the case to fit the screws. the motherboard it self should be atx as well as a replacement powersupply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice