1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SONY VAIO VGN-FE41S >> resolution changes after turning on from sleep mode << ????

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Ghost3203, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ghost3203

Ghost3203 Thread Starter

:) * Sony Vaio VGN-FE41S, Vista Home Premium Edition pre-installed, have disk to reinstall/upgrade too * :)

This is a really, really annoying problem - after resuming from sleep or hibernation mode the resolution reverts back to 1024 x 600 from 1280 x 800 pixels - and has to be changed back manually every time! :mad:

The only way I can currently get round it is to enable 'password on wakeup' in advanced power options. Though I dont have an account password, it keeps the resolution the same, so I have to click on my account pic when resume from sleep or hibernate.

Please help! Any advice/solution is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Ghost3203 :confused:

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How are you waking the machine up?

3. Ghost3203

Ghost3203 Thread Starter

Either lifting the lid or pressing power button after automatic sleep activated...

There is also another associated problem: when the computer wakes up from sleep and goes to the screen with the icon and username of each user, if I click switch user the screen goes completely blank. The HD is still running, but there is then no way to get back to the desktop or turn the screen back on (at all) without holding down power key until reset! Phew!

This also happens intermittently when sleep occurs...

I usually put laptop to sleep - but is there a hibernate function like in xp?

I think the sleep and hibernate have been put together now, though...

P.S.: unlike xp, when I try to hibernate (manual says I can do this by pressing Fn and F12 - has a HD symbol with zzz on the key), the power light still blinks every few seconds and the laptop's adapter gradually gets very hot. THERE IS ALSO NO RESUMING/RESTORING WINDOWS SCREEN WHEN I BOOT BACK UP - IT GOES STRAIGHT TO THE SAME SCREEN AS ABOVE!

Weird, or what?

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Go to the Control Panel, and then the Mobil PC, then Power options.
    There are 2 items you need to check and set the way you want them,
    Choose what the power button does?
    Choose what closing the lid does?

5. Ghost3203

Ghost3203 Thread Starter

Thanks for that, DaveA, and I apologise for the ton of information in my earlier post :)

I have set these two as shut-down and sleep respectively, but the problem still happens - the resolution goes crazy on sleep resume and after hibernating the screen still goes blank...

6. Ghost3203

Ghost3203 Thread Starter

Would you suggest anything else?

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What happens if you reset the res to what you want and then reboot the machine?
    Do NOT let go to sleep, just power it OFF, and then after a few minutes boot it back up.

Another thing NEVER "switch user" until your account is fully loaded. I do NOT use this as ALL of the programs in use MUST be copied to the hard drive and then the other account can be started. If you have switch back and forth between accounts this can really muck things up.

8. Ghost3203

Ghost3203 Thread Starter

The resolution doesn't change back again! Thanks, that part of problem solved.

Then I tried sleep without the require password on wakeup and resolution still changes back again!

P.S.: the hibernate mode in vista doesn't really turn the computer off, does it? So if i turned the power off and the power light is blinking every 3 secs - would that mess up the pc?

9. Ghost3203

Ghost3203 Thread Starter

N.B.: As am at uni I tend to now only use my laptop at home. Therefore, have disconnected the battery and running it purely off the mains.

Learnt the hard way not to leave battery in and power on too - my previous laptops battery drained so fast due to the memory effect... :)

10. Ghost3203

Ghost3203 Thread Starter

what do you reckon?

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I would turn OFF the hibernation and make sure that you restart the machine. Let it run for a few days without hibernation. This may clear up any of the OLD hibernation files which may be the root cause.

12. Ghost3203

Ghost3203 Thread Starter

Right. How the machine is not on hibernation now, so what should I do? Just leave it running or shut down after I've finished - and not use hibernate for a week/so?

13. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I leave my machines on 7/24.
    But for this test, I would power down when finished for the day and then power up in the morning and keep it up and running all day. Try this for 2-3 days and then turn on hibernation and see what happens.

14. Ghost3203

Ghost3203 Thread Starter

ok. thanks for your help, DaveA! :)

is it ok if i post again in about 5-7 days?

p.s.: is it ok to keep laptops on 24/7 - only the adaptors get really hot and a previous laptop's stopped working when i tried this about a year ago...

15. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Yes, reply here in a few days about the hibernation issue.

What "adaptors" are you running with?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice