1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Vaio VGN-S260 laptop - won't power on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rwtechmonkey, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rwtechmonkey

rwtechmonkey Thread Starter

I have this vaio laptop... the onboard video chip had issues (no output to lcd), sent it off for repair, returned working, but only supported software graphics mode (low res.)... booted OK - able to install xp w/o video drivers / ubuntu (could not change resolution). one day, when i was opening the case to look at the motherboard, because i was shopping around for a good used one, and when i put it back together, it stopped powering on at all. on a/c or battery. when a/c is plugged in, the upfront LEDs don't power on at all. checked all cables, reseated everything... thought i burned out the board by shorting it or something... so, i needed a new board anyway and bought one. installed it and same issue.

i can't think what i've missed.. the only thing i can think of is the cable from the motherboard to the power button and upfront lights is bad... thats all i can consider other than the possibility of the new board being bad as well, but then the upfront battery/power LCDs may light up...

i know someone with a similar laptop who will let me borrow the keyboard and case cover to test the cables.

any suggestions are welcomed! thanks!

2. D-Rock

D-Rock

Sounds like a static discharge. Did you ground yourself or use a wrist strap? If you didnt and you did discharge into it you migh have fried anything on that board. the ram, cpu, anything. I doubt the LED's are the problem.

3. rwtechmonkey

thank you. that may very well be true. dang. however, any other ideas?

4. rwtechmonkey

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice