1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Vaio Wireless Networking Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ELA5436, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ELA5436

ELA5436 Thread Starter

Hello! I recently purchased a Sony Vaio laptop computer (I'm running Vista Home Premium and the model number for the computer is VGN-CS215J) and I am having issues with it and am wondering if you think I should exchange it or have it repaired (purchased a week ago).

I set up the wireless network to the computer, but its been giving me issues. If I set it up to auto connect when I start the computer, it doesn't connect to the internet, only the local connection (sometimes, if I wait like 10 minutes before trying though, the internet will be there). To fix this, I have to disconnect from the network and then reconnect to the network. In addition to this, when I'm online occasionally websites will just stop loading and I will get "connection interrupted" messages or "Proxy Error" messages. Again, to fix this, I have to disconnect and reconnect to the network.

At first, I thought this was a problem with my wireless internet connection, however, I have taken it to 2 other locations that have wireless services (airport and local college), and the computer did the same things at these locations as well, which leads me to believe this is the computer.

Now, I called BestBuy and they said to bring it in and have a Geek Squad agent look at it. Now here is my concern:

a) Do I return/exchange the computer
    b) Repair it (It should be under the mfg. warranty, which means I have to wait for it).

Issues: I have already installed word and my anti-virus on there, I'm concerned that I won't be able to do it again because they limit the number of times you can do this, what do I do for this? Should I insist BestBuy pay for the re-downloads? Or do I have to repurchase? I had to install Word 2 other times on my desktop (first installation, and then a 2nd when the hard drive crashed), so this is my 3rd installation of Home and Student Microsoft Office...doing it again will put me over my limit I'm pretty sure.

Any tips/advice/suggestions would be appreciated!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should not have to repurchase your AV if a new machine is defective. Any company that doesn't understand that doesn't deserve your business!

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Before going back to Best Buy visit the Sony site (support section) and make sure you have the latest driver for your wireless adapter.

If you do have to get warranty service make sure they take care of the Office issue as well as the AV.

4. coldmeal

coldmeal

Hi there,

I experience the very same problem with a new Sony Vaio FW and wonder if you have solved your problems. If yes then I would be very interested how.

Reseting the wifi network seems to help (for a while) but there is also a delay thing playing a role. Connecting to network drives works but not to the internet or even the very same router web interface the network drives are connected to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!