1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony Vaio Wont boot and Continues to Restart (doesnt even work on safe mode)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tech Spadez, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tech Spadez

Tech Spadez Thread Starter

Hello all, im new here, i found the site looking for topics like this one I am about to post.

A family members sony vaio will not boot up, the computer doesnt load windows XP (The windows XP loading screen appears but will then goes blank and reboots automatically.) When the computer first turns on a blank screen appears with text saying "we're sorry for the inconvienice, etc..." then has a 30 second timer for which option i would like to choose.
    These are my options below (which none work).

It doesnt work on Safe Mode, Safe Mode (Networking), Safe Mode (Command Prompt) or even the "last known to work configurations".

Im totally lost on what i can do from here. I need assistence people!!

2. Tech Spadez

Umm... ok still no replies? (shocked) anyways i tried something myself. F8 before the computer booted up and a menu came up, i clicked to "Disable automatic restart when error occurs on windows XP"

A message popped up in a blue screen/white letters, saying "A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer."
    File: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I found on another site with this information:

"You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
    You will get a dos prompt
    Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
    When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter "Y" and enter at the prompt
    Then type "exit" and hit enter
    The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
    Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
    When done type "exit" and hit enter.
    This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows."

My Question: Will this effect my data on the computer? i have a lot of vital info on the computer and i want to know if i can save the computer AND my info by doing this. Also my sony vaios never came with an XP installation CD because it was pre-installed on the computer, where can i get one?

From here im lost... Any help?? please?

3. Tech Spadez

bump... =\

i thought i can find help here, how come out of so many users, no 1 is replying here??

4. Tech Spadez

BUMP, SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE I NEED THIS VITAL INFORMATION ASAP :mad:

5. Flags

Flags

Tech: No, it will not affect your data.
    What you are doing is using the Recovery Console to check the condition of your Hard drive.
    It may take some time to finish the check so be patient. When it finishes, it will tell you if there are any bad sectors on the disk. If there are, then you can start worrying, because the disk is failing, and recovering Data could be expensive.
    Just do what you posted and see what happens

6. Tech Spadez

Thank u, and expensive how? what will i need to buy if this doesnt work? i just want to have a few methods to fall back on in case one doesnt work i dont have to wait forever for someone to help me.

7. Flags

Flags

Don't cross any bridges until you come to them.
    Run the Recovery Console. If it doesn't work then worry about recoveryng your data.
    Personally, I think it will work.
    Data recovery programs or services can run into hundreds of dollars.

8. Tech Spadez

i just tried this recovery CD that came with the computer and it didnt work... it doesnt load the CD, the same thing pops up and windows doesnt load... how can i back up anything if i cant even gain access to it? thats the confusing part also.

BTW: The computer doesnt have a floppy disc drive either... only a CD-ROM drive

9. Flags

Flags

First: Go into the BIOS and be sure that your first boot device is your CD-Rom.
    2nd: Put your XP CD in the drive and save and exit the BIOS.
    The computer should start to boot. A message will pop up saying "Press any key to boot from CD"
    Press the space bar, quickly. It will load a bunch of files and you will eventually be presented with a Command Prompt (C:\WINDOWS).
    Type chkdsk /p. Press Enter.
    Then when that's finished and it may take a while, so be patient. If the disk is OK, the command prompt appears again type fixboot. Press enter.
    A message will ask you if you are sure you want to write a new MBR. Type Y. Press enter.
    A new MBR will be written, and the command prompt will appear. Take the Disk out and shut down.
    Start up again. If it worked, hopefully you will get your desktop.

I'm typing this from memory, so I may have missed someting, but the process is pretty much straight forward and intuitive so you can figure it out.
    Good luck.
    Good night. I have to work tomorrow.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

T S:
    Before running chkdsk /r from the recovery console, backup your data. If you can't boot into Windows, use Ultimate Boot CD.
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Please be patient. We are all volunteers, with lives [ some of any how ] and jobs not associated with Tech Guy Forum.

Please see #8 at
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-n...creen-error-unmountable-boot.html#post5734788

Data recovery can cost hundreds to thousands of $$$, as Flags noted. However, this product is not as expensive.
    http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

RF123

11. Flags

Flags

If you have access to another PC, you could Slave your HDD to it and possibly recover data that way.

You said you just tried your Recovery CD and it wouldn't boot. Try your Reinstallation CD.

BTW what is the brand of your PC?

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice