1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sony vaio won't fit my video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kdpflush, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kdpflush

kdpflush Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I'm having problems inserting a radeon 9800 pro video card into the agp (apg?) slot of my computer.
    I have a sony vaio vgc-rb42g xp mce sp2 home computer with the onboard Intel blah blah blah express chipset , which is the problem. I have to play Oblivion. I don't know much about video cards except that brown is agp and white is pci:D
    Now, the vaio has the brown one, but a different configuration than the radeon, but that's not a problem yet because the video card just won't fit, the slots are about 2mm too far over and it doesn't line up. Am I just not finnessing it enough or is this another example of sony trying to drive me crazy?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That happens. Sometimes the card just doesn't fit, especially if different from the one that came with the machine. You are probably out of luck with that card. Better switch it for another. Sure you opened the right slot? Sometimes it's the next one over from what it seems at first glance.

3. kdpflush

kdpflush Thread Starter

yes it just needs to move 1-2 milimeters closer to the back of the computer, it's so frustrating im sooo close...I'm assuming that this is a cruel joke by sony, and nothing is going to fit in that slot, it wouldn't surprise me:eek:

4. kdpflush

kdpflush Thread Starter

btw all pci slots in this thing are used, so that's how they've assured that I can never upgrade

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it just won't go back far enough, maybe you can bend the wings a bit to get them in the slots and to the screw hole. Any screws in the board itself that may have some play in them?

6. kdpflush

kdpflush Thread Starter

it would have to go back maybe 4-5 mm now that I relook. I can't move the mb as there are other things that do fit. there really isn't anthing I could bend out of the way to fit it through the back. the card fit my old computer fine, im still blaming it on sony I think

7. kdpflush

kdpflush Thread Starter

err, it is possible that I've been trying to shove this card into a pci 16x express slot. do they come in brown? um...how about black? im a moron. solved.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL. I guess color alone is not the best way to tell. Glad you got it fixed, though.

You can mark this thread solved using the "Thread Tools".

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice