1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sony VGN-AR170P

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dabblingpond, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dabblingpond

Dabblingpond Thread Starter

When I install Windows 7 Ultima 32 the sound card works on startup however when I go to play a CD it say another program is useing it ---also will not play the sample sounds in the sample folder ---I did get all the buttons to workon the lappy --this was the only problem -- any help would make me a very happy person(y)

2. antech

antech Banned

Follow the below Instructions Carefully:

1. Download Hijack this from the link.

(Choose the installer of HJT—Hijack This)

2. Run a Scan.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.

(Doing so when NOT Instructed Might cause Unwanted System Instability, BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)

3. Save a Log file (On your Desktop)

4. Copy and Paste all the contents.

5. Paste them in the Reply Window.

I am NOT an Authorized Malware Remover.

The Log is requested by me only for Optimization Purposes, troubleshooting and removing applications that are causing various problems such as Crashing, BSOD’s and Freezing and helping the poster remove any incompatible application/program and driver.

I will therefore NOT help if anything related to Malware is found in your log.

The thread will then be moved to the Malware Removal Forums for expert assistance.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Antech, please do NOT post and ask for a HJT log simply as a matter of course. Most problems posted outside of General Security and the Malware Removal forum do NOT need to have a HJT log.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My first suspicion is also driver(s).

However, Dabblingpond did say "when I go to play a CD it say another program is useing it," so I'm not sure I could criticize somebody for trying to determine what programs are running. :)

6. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

However, there are other things that can determine that.....even task manager. ;) And lots of other programs that can give you running processes without the possibility of wrecking a computer like you can with HJT. SIW, is one. It is much simpler to install, very easy to use, gives running processes without the risk of accidentally putting a check mark in the "wrong" thing, and would be more helpful than HJT in diagnosing something like this since it would give more specs on the hardware (sound cards, CD info, etc) as well as drivers and anything else you'd likely need to know. ;)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Excellent points, Laura. :) And I do hope that antech learns from your advice, as I too think that HJT logs get overused by a few people here. Thank you.

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I agree, some people think that the HJT is the Holly Grail to ALL fixes.

9. antech

antech Banned

Ok.
    please just dont step on me!

10. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

HijackThis is completely useless for determining what is running or being started in Windows 7, because as I mentioned in another thread it shows files as missing that are not, and only shows processes for the logged on user.

I have lost track of the number of times HJT logs have been requested in the Windows 7 forum recently, resulting in the original poster trying to fix something that isn't a problem.

11. antech

antech Banned

So,Frank4d......
    What will be you IYHO be an alternatvie to HJT?

12. Frank4d

AutoRuns, when used together with Process Explorer or Windows 7 Task Manager, has about the same functionality. Except AutoRuns logs are nearly impossible to read; and for some people having trouble, Task Manager doesn't run.

I don't know if there is a good alternative right now. Maybe some day Trend Micro will fix HJT.

13. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Does SIW work with Windows 7?

14. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  15. Frank4d

It does, and a user can get the same information that can be obtained using HJT or Autoruns+Process Explorer using it. But the free version doesn't allow saving a report file (I don't know what the report file would look like since I don't want to buy it).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!