1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SOPLYGUI removal

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by FenderBender1230, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenderBender1230

FenderBender1230 Thread Starter

Ok, I got infected by this when I was surfing the net, and the page said LOADING. All of a sudden, I'd get this popup saying that I had a nasty virus, and I needed to download an anti-spyware program to remove it. I'd also get error dialogs whenever I tried to access a folder in Windows Explorer. It pretty much made the internet un-surfable.

Fortunately, my system had been hounding me to install some updates to windows, so I did that, and installed Service Pack 3. That cleaned up the folder problem, as it apparently got rid of whatever it installed as far as my operating system was concerned. However, I still got the official-looking virus warning pages whenever I brought up IE explorer. So at that point, I was going to give in. I downloaded their program and then ran it. It did what appeared to be a scan, and it made some weird noises and showed some ominous virus warnings. But to remove the viruses, I had to download the full version. That's where I got suspicious, but I looked into it anyways. As soon as it displayed a $49.95 price tag, along with a message box that said they'd take any credit cards, I closed those out. That's when I started figuring out that this was a scam to get my personal information. I'd rather have my computer not working than to give my personal information to someone that solicited me. And the fact that McAfee Virus protection didn't catch it raised another red flag.

Then, something dawned on me. I had Mozilla Firefox installed, so just for grins, I tried to access some pages with that. And, no virus warnings. So it looked like it was isolated to IE only. But I still wanted to fix IE, because that's where all my bookmarks were, and I was used to using it. So, from Firefox, I downloaded IE Version 7 and installed it. It even had a facility for removing malicious software. After all of that, it still came up with the virus page.

This is where I concluded that its really not a virus, but instead its some parasite connected with IE, and it was associated with a scam. So, I started looking at my IE configuration through the IE TOOLS menu, and that's where I found the solution. First, I noticed my home page was redirected to the URL that was displaying the virus stuff. I removed that. Then, I clicked TOOLS, MANAGE ADD-ONS, and then saw the SOPLYGUI add-on in the list. It even told me what DLL it was running. So, I deactivated SOPLYGUI, reran IE, and it was fine. Then, just to be on the safe side, I removed the DLL that it said it was running. The DLL was located in the main windows system folder. I found it by just searching my C drive for it.

Everything's running fine now, in fact a lot better because I installed a Windows update and a clean IE in the process. But bottom line is, it's NOT a virus, it's an IE add-on, and a parasite for supporting a scam. So in a nutshell, if you get this, you'll need to do the following.

1. Deactivate SOPLYGUI in IE by selecting TOOLS, MANAGE ADD-ONS, select SOPLYGUI, and the DEACTIVE ADD-ON radio button.

2. In the TOOLS menu, select INTERNET OPTIONS and remove the URL entries from your default home page assignment.

3. Rerun IE, download the latest service pack for your operating system and install it. You WON'T lose any of your data or applications.

4. Reboot, and you're back in business.

5. Just to be on the safe side, remove the DLL that SOPLYGUI was running.

Whatever you do, DON'T give your personal information to those clowns. God only knows what they'd do with it, but I have a pretty good idea myself. You wouldn't give it to anyone who calls you on the phone, so why would you give it to someone who calls you on the internet?

I still don't know how to delete the SOPLYGUI entry from IE altogether, but as long as its deactivated, you're fine.

I hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice