sorry, stupid win 2000/xp question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

melby

I'm currently running win98, but I've been wanting to upgrade to win 2000/xp. I'm just wondering if my old computer would be able to cope with anything but win98? (And how do I know it will/will not work?)

Go look at the box for the upgrade - it will list system requirements. Or go to M$.com and they should list them there.

I would probably double whatever minimum RAM they say is required.

Also, I would go the format/clean install route over the 'upgrade' method.

Originally posted by melby:
I'm currently running win98, but I've been wanting to upgrade to win 2000/xp. I'm just wondering if my old computer would be able to cope with anything but win98? (And how do I know it will/will not work?)
Waht amount of ram and what size processor do you have ?

That sounds right (255)as some get used up just for windows, now what about the processor size ? Download Wcpuid , open it and tell me what speed the processor is running at.

So you have a 800 mhz pentium processor and 256 ram, you can load either xp or w2k although w2k will be slightly faster on that ram but you can use xp fairly good on 256 as well..

The readyness test will test everything, from Prosessor speed to programs that may not be compatible with XP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online