1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sort folders w/ subfolders and files intermingling

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cutcopypaste, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cutcopypaste

cutcopypaste Thread Starter

In my downloads folder if I sort by date, it shows the most recent folders AND files all in the same order, whereas any other folder it separates the folders and files into separate lists. I moved my download folder to a different drive and it went back to the separating practice. I want to know how I can re-enable that behaviour? it's much more useful for certain types of folders.

Edit: I may have been wrong about how it was sorting things.. but I'd still be thrilled to be able to make it put them together as I described.

2. Wallyinnc

Wallyinnc

cutcopypaste (no, I am not following you)
    You might have been looking at the search folder, it sorts everything together, not folders first like Windows Explorer.
    I don't know any easy way to use it instead of Explorer, though...

3. cutcopypaste

cutcopypaste Thread Starter

Yeah.. I've been reading around elsewhere and a sort of solution is to go to the folder(s) you want to intermingle files and folders for, search for * and order by date modified, then hit 'save search' and you can access it anytime.. not the most elegant solution, but at least something
    (my downloads folder for instance i almost always care how new it is not at all whether it's in a folder or not)

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Press ALT to show the Menu bar, Click View | Group By | Date Modified
    Still not quite what you want, but puts both files and folders from the last couple of days near the top.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice