1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sorting by date last accessed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Trebor, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trebor

Trebor Thread Starter

I have a large amount of MP3's stored in one folder and want to view them as a list sorted by date last accessed not just modified. The date accessed is correct when I right click but how do I get this field to appear on the bar so I can sort by it?
    I have been trying to do this for months but nobody seems to know. Please help?:confused:

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

When you open the file / Folder the MP3's are stored in & right click in an empty spot .... do you have an option to "arrange icons" by date ?
    You have to go to the actual folder they are in to do this. Im sure thats what you need . That doesn't keep them grouped ny artist though. To do that you need to make folders inside the main folder & apply the group name... whether its a style of music or an artist. then you may drag & drop the ones you want where you want them. after that you can also right click & "arrange icons" > by date if you like.

Savvy :)

3. angel

angel

I don't know if there's a way in Windows to do that by Default but will do some checking.

In a quick search, I found <a href="http://www.evolution-interface.com/index3.htm">Evolution Interface</a> which provides that option. You can use it free for 30 days.

BTW - which OS are you using?

4. rhettman5

rhettman5

When I am preparing to record a disc, I usually make a new folder called NEW CD, or something , and drag potential songs to that folder, when I am ready to sort before recording, I can go to this folder to edit and not have to search through all my songs, perhaps this would work for you ??...Rhett Ps once your done, you can delete the folder and free up the disc space if that is a concern. :)

5. Trebor

Trebor Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies but I'm afraid I'm still no better off.
    Savvy - What you're saying is correct but that is sorting by date modified not accessed.
    Angel - OS is Win '98
    I actually use the folder on an ongoing basis and the reason that I need to be able to sort by date accessed is to give me a playlist for the previous day, last weekend, etc..
    If you have any other ideas I would really appreciate it as nobody in the Emerald Isle seems to have a clue.:confused:

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

to do it by date accessed you will have to view the MP3's in details showing titles..then right click on the file & go to properties on each & see the date accessed & add it to the name of the song at the beginning ... then after that you can line them up numerically .

Savvy :)

7. Trebor

Trebor Thread Starter

Savvy - Thanks again but what you're suggesting could take hours each day as I use approx 100 mp3's at a gig( part time DJ) and some of them would be used at one gig and not at another.
    Ideally what I need is to be able to track which ones were accessed last and in what order. I thought I'd be able to just click on the toolbar but it doesn't look possible now.
    If anybody has anymore suggestions please don't keep them to yourselves.

By the way this is a great site. Well done to the people/person behind it.
    :)

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    The only way I know to do this is through DOS. It's pretty primitive but it does work. Remember if you do try this, the date that's shown next the file in DOS is the Modified Date but the list is sorted by Accessed Date in ascending order.

Start>Run, key in the word Command and press enter. Now you need to know the path to the folder. The following is an example if the folder was named Music and resided in the root of c:\

dir /p /oa c:\music

If you want to read about the command simply type in dir /? and press enter. Once you have the path correct you could create a shortcut on your Desktop to execute the dir command so you wouldn't need to type it in each day.

And one other thing to keep in mind. The last accessed date on any object in Windows will change with Any type of access. For example, simply right clicking on an object and selecting Properties will change the objects last accessed date to the current date.

I also know there's a way to print the list which may make it more usable but I can't recall if it's done using the dir command or not. My memory of DOS commands has started to become fuzzy as time goes by. :)

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That's the command. Redirect to a txt file. For example
    dir /p /oa c:\music>>play.txt

This will add to the list each time. Like Bryan said, any access and you get the list of the entire folder each time.
    You'd be better off using software and making playlists.
    If you want to make a new text file each time, rename the play.txt first.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice