1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sorting in Word 97

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JulieAsking, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JulieAsking

JulieAsking Thread Starter

I have a Word 97 document with a list of references, each starting out with a number followed by a full-stop followed by two spaces then text that wraps to appear under the number for a few lines. There are 3 pages of these references and I would like Word to sort them into correct number order. I have tried converting text to table and even playing with the Sort option but nothing works quite right. I guess Word is treating the number as part of the text and cannot recognise it as being separate.

Does anyone know of a way to get Word to recognise the initial number starting each paragraph and therefore be able to sort the paragraphs in correct number order?

Thanks - Julie

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If the text is truly wrapping and is not being forced by a eop marker then it should work ( you can check this by adjusting the margin and seeing how it affects the text. If you do a select all, does it mark the numbers as well?

3. XL Guru

XL Guru

This worked for me both ways (as text, 1. bcd and 1. ccd on 2 separate lines ; or in a table, the same strings in 2 separate rows).

But I'd have to say (a) I have Word 2K (b) I might not understand your format -- they'd have to be real long strings to wrap (?).

Maybe Word is interpreting the "#. abc etc"s as bullet-type numbering.

If you think it might help, I could have a look at the file (since DB's not around).

Rgds,
    Andy

4. DaveBurnett

I'm on dial-up, so only check in occasionally, but if Julie would like to save a portion of the file to rtf format and attach it or even paste it I will certainly have a look. I tried it in 97 and it worked for me.

5. DaveBurnett

Julie sent me this:
    Hi DAve

I couldnt find where to send you the file as an
    attachment on the tech site. Sorry 'bout that. I have
    saved it in rtf and using Yahoo mail am now able to
    send as an attachment.

I am actually trying to get an answer on the above
    problem for someone at work, but I have a question of
    my own. Are you in a position for me to ask you
    another question about using Find to find a certain
    number in a long table? If so I will send you part of
    the file or describe the table to you. You CAn say No
    :)

Thanks for your time and help. It's always fun to
    discover the tricks!

Julie

My reply is:

Julie
    Ok, here is my attempt.

First I am going to post the solution back on the forum so that other people can see it. Can you do the same with the next problem. Private mail should really be kept for situations where it would be inappropriate to post publicly.
    I assume that the problem becomes apparent when the number changes to two then three digits or even four so I have added a few lines to test it.
    The solution seem to be:
    Select All. Then Table/Sort and Sort by WORD1 NUMERIC ASCENDING
    That did it for me.

The attached file is rtf format but with the extra txt added so I could attach it.

6. DaveBurnett

OK. I'll try again to attach.

Attached Files:

7. JulieAsking

JulieAsking Thread Starter

Great! I had chosen the Paragraph option and did not know of such a thing as Word1. Thanks for your help Dave.

Julie

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice