1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sorting Month Names in Calendar Order

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by franklyorange, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. franklyorange

franklyorange Thread Starter

I have a list of data (for learning purposes) where one of the fields is the name of the month, i.e., a text field. If I sort on this field, it sorts months in alphabetical order.......April, December, February, etc. I would like it to sort in calendar order....January, February, March, etc.

Is this possible in Excel? in either '03 or '07?

I know I can do it in a pivot table, but I want to change the raw data to sort in calendar order.

Thanks

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes, in 2007, you can drop down the sort & filter arrow and choose Custom Sort. In the Order field, select Custom List and it will bring you a list of choices, one of which is by month. Hope that helps.

OKGeorges likes this.
  3. franklyorange

franklyorange Thread Starter

Excellent! I was trying to input a formula, but I knew there had to be an easier way!!!

4. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Glad it worked. (y) You can mark this as solved by using the button at the top of the thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice