Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Outage PC issue

519 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I had a series of power outages this evening when i wasn't home and my pc was in sleep mode plugged into a belkin surge protector. when i got home the power was still off and i unplugged my pc. Now, power is back on but my system wont boot. It powers up for a couple seconds(no monitor signal so i unplugged all peripherals), and it powers back down right away and just keeps on doing this in that cycle. This build is only a month or two old with less than 200 hrs of use. Can anyone help with this?

Here's all of my components and peripherals

#2 ·
What please have you tried
Without that info, there is every chance, we will both be wasting time, as I type a suggestion, for you to then have to read it and reply, already tried it.
As a starting point
Section 1-1-8 board manual - Check leds
Boot, VGA, DRAM, CPU

If that does not show anything due to lack of time before power down
Try connecting integrated graphics on I/O plate
Intel UHD 630
You may have to disconnect card from PCIe slot

I presume you have tried without surge protector, sometimes they go faulty after protection initiated.

#4 ·
Nice list of parts.
The only way you are going to find the problem is by testing in a systematic manner. Do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
3 Remove ALL add-in cards ie video card, sound [if used] etc. Connect the monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard. Note there is a latch that must be depressed to remove the video card. Do not just yank it out
4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, etc
5 Clear cmos or in asus speak RTC. Modern boards do not use a jumper. There should be two pins to short with any metallic object ie small screwdriver, etc Read your manual
6 Replace pw cord and pw ON. See if the motherboard will complete POST. If it does, shutdown and start connecting parts one at a time until you find the failed part or parts. If the board will not POST in the above config, you will need to swap parts with known good units ie pw supply, ram, motherboard, etc

FWIW [and this is just my opinion] surge protectors are useless. If you want to protect against pw surges, you get a UPS. A surge protector is useful for providing extra plug-ins for a printer, speakers, etc.
Some surge protectors do offer "insurance" for your parts, you can see if yours has this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.