1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Sound Blaster Cinema 2 not working

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Zehnsik, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    I've really gone and done it this time...

Okay, so long story short: I broke SBC2. I updated my audio drivers (Long story) and I think that's why it's broken. I've tried reinstalling SBC2 but that doesn't seem to work. My audio comes through just fine, but SBC2 is definitely broken. I can tell the difference and my ears miss the quality already.

The Problem Explained in Detail:

When trying to open SBC2, I get this prompt:
    [​IMG]

Clicking "No" does nothing. Clicking "Yes" gives me this:
    [​IMG]

Clicking "OK" opens the program as normal, except most of the buttons related to enhanced audio function are grayed out and don't work. However, clicking on the gear (Settings) yields this response:
    [​IMG]

Clicking "OK" closes the program.

And that's all there is to it.

I broke it and don't know how to fix it. I have tried a few things and am tired of restarting my PC. I've thought of downgrading the Realtek HD Audio drivers back to what they were, but I don't know how I feel about that.

Anyway, all help is appreciated. Let me know if I'm missing any details.

Don't know if you'll need it but here it is:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 32704 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (113 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (1227 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Acer, Predator G3-710
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Which sound card/audio chipset is actually being used.

Realtek HD, would most likely be the motherboard audio chipset.

To use SBC2, you would need to have a Sound Blaster card installed or be using a motherboard with a SB chipset.

A motherboard without an additional sound card installed will NOT use Realtek and SB. You can't "downgrade" from SBC2 to Realtek. You have to use the drivers for the actual audio chipset (ie: Realtek OR SBC2).

3. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    I don't know how to check what sound card/audio chipset I have, so if you need that information to help me, I'll gladly go through the steps to find out. However, I think it's safe to assume that my system is compatible with SBC2, considering it has worked fine in the past and came with the PC.

-Edit2: From the looks of things, I have 4 different sound... um... configurations? It's weird because when I do "msinfo" and look under "sound device" I have 4 different results... no idea what that's about.

I was unaware that there was a SB driver as well? I was under the assumption that it was just a program that hooked into the audio driver or something... I don't know. So how would I go about getting a SB driver? I can't find one anywhere.

-Edit: Slight rewording.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Check Device Manager in the "Sound, video, and game controllers" section. All of the audio chipsets should be noted in that section. Post a screenshot if possible.

And I try not to "assume" anything. I've wasted too much time making assumptions in the past.

5. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Can do. Here's what I got:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, there are 4 things that show up, which I find odd. The USB PnP Device might be my microphone? Honestly not sure, because I don't have any audio devices plugged in through a USB port.

-Edit: Yes, as far as I can tell, the USB PnP Audio Device is my microphone.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  6. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    How old is your computer.
    I have an old desktop with Soundblaster too and when I installed W10 (1809) my audio was no longer working at all. I tried everything possible and nothing worked. I had to roll back to at least the 1703 version to make it to work. (just a tip for you).

7. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Almost 3 years now. Not super old, but not new either.

As far as Win10 goes, I saw that there have been some issues reported about compatibility. However, since I've had this computer for almost 3 years with no problems concerning SBC2, I'm fairly certain Win10 is not the problem.

8. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Have you tried downloading the latest driver from Soundblaster website (Creative Labs).

9. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Like I said, if there's a Soundblaster driver out there, I can't find one anywhere. I've checked creative.com and came back empty handed.

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The nVidia entries are for the sound output of the video card (ie: HDMI audio output)

The Realtek entry is the only audio chipset listed. This is very likely the motherboard audio chispet.

The USB entry could be an external audio device or a pair of headphones. No way for me to tell from the entry alone, but you should know what USB devices that you have connected.

So the SBC2 software isn't working, as noted in the error, because there isn't a supported audio chipset (ie: there is not a Sound Blaster audio chipset present). I can't explain why it was working previously or if it was even working properly (likely not). I wouldn't expect it to work at all. All of the Creative/Sound Blaster software that I've ever used was provided with Creative/Sound Blaster hardware and only worked with their hardware. They don't provide standalone (ie: works with any audio hardware) software/tools that I'm aware of.

11. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Have you checked here. (scroll down page)
    What is the serial or model number for your soundblaster cinema 2.

12. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, I have. It looks to me like there's nothing there to download.

I didn't know a program came with a serial/model number? Unless you're talking about the sound card that I don't have. For some reason the PC came with Soundblaster, but not a sound card.

Ah, I see. That makes sense now. As for the USB, it was indeed the microphone that I have plugged in.

I'm at as much of a loss as to how it was working as you are. Maybe it wasn't working optimally, but I definitely heard a difference. The bass boost boosted the bass, the crystalizer made the audio more crisp, the surround setting widened the audio and it became more immersive, and the smart volume would soften sudden spikes in volume (Rather annoyingly, I might add. for the longest time after I had the PC, I would start a Youtube video, and the beginning would be really quiet at first before becoming louder. I eventually found out it was SBC2 doing it, and turned off the smart volume.). However, I never really used the dialogue plus, so I couldn't tell you if that did anything.

Anyway, I'm going to try something in a bit to see if I can fix it. I'll let you guys know what happens.

13. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    "I didn't know a program came with a serial/model number? Unless you're talking about the sound card that I don't have. For some reason the PC came with Soundblaster, but not a sound card."
    You can open your desktop tower and look for the soundblaster card and somewhere in the board should be the model number or serial number. Should be a sticker or engraved. (you might need to remove the card for better view).

14. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    LOL! I fixed it. I have absolutely no idea why it works, but it does. All I did was download an installer for the Realtek High Definition Audio version that originally came with my PC and then let it uninstall the recently installed drivers and replace them with the correct ones. As soon as it was installed it started working again. Funny thing is, before I did that, I force uninstalled SBC2 with a program (The uninstaller wasn't working) and yet somehow the SBC2 audio features were still coming through after the RHDA driver swap. Then I reinstalled SBC2 and the program works perfectly again. I can turn on and off the different features without any issues.

Man... Computers don't make any sense sometimes...

Anyway, in closing, I would like to thank both of you for your contributions. I really appreciate the effort. Also, even though this issue is solved, I'm still open to any questions about this resolution if anyone needs to ease a curious mind (Ideally a profile message so as not to bump this thread. Or whatever you want to do, it doesn't really matter.).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm a one-woman on a mission to try and get people to stop updating drivers and to stop using any programs that updates lots of "out-dated" drivers at once.
    Computers rarely require updating from the original that came with the computer. Spread the word: turn off driver updates in Windows updates and leave the drivers alone. One exception: if you have a problem, head to the manufacturer's website and see if a driver has been updated to fix your problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!