Sound Blaster Live card won't get recognized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dazednkonfus

Alright I completely formatted my computer and reinstalled Windows XP Pro and have everything up and working fine except for my sound card. I have the original cd the card came with and it was working fine before the format/install. Here are a few bits of info.

I have already run the sound blaster cd and installed..everything on it...and it just wont get recognized.

In the device manager/sound, video, game controllers. There is..
Creative SB Live! series
Creative Game Port

System Information/components/Sound Device

Name: Creative EMU10K1 Audio Processor (WDM)
Manufacturer: Creative Technology Ltd.
status OK
driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\ctaud2k.sys

When I go to controlpanel/sounds and audio devices it just always says no sound device, I also went into bios and turned off the audio on the motherboard already.

Any ideas or help would be great....

-Thanks

bearone2

Banned
remove all sound items in device manager, reboot and see if xp recognizes the card, it should. then use the install cd.

if it doesn't try the card in another pci slot.

i found that a lot of the functions advertised didn't work.
i have 4.1 speakers and the only function i use is to test that the speakers were hooked up correctly.

i installed the sblive card when i built the machine 3 1/2 yrs ago and the software didn't run on xp and creative was aware of it and i'm not sure if they ever resolved the problems.:cool:

dazednkonfus

Alright I completely removed the card, so I can just use the sound from the motherboards sound card component. I removed all the devices from the device manager under the sound and game port thing, and changed bios to enable the sound controller. It now gets detected and installed and is working properly (according to windows xp pro) and I update the drivers and still get no sound. Here is what is in the device manager now...

NVidia(R) nforce(TM) Audio Codec Interface.

System information/components/sound device is....

Nvidia nforce audio
driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvapu.sys

any help is appreciated again....

Thanks

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but....

You need to leave the motherboard audio dissabled.. At all times. You don't want windows to see it at all..

After it's first detected by windows, and it installs the default driver. Does it work?

If so try the install disc... if it fails after the disc install, try downloading drivers from Sound Blaster..

BTW, you have an nVidia motherboard right?... Have you installed the newest nForce drivers for it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts