1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Card driver: SIS 7018

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HalLicino, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HalLicino

HalLicino Thread Starter

Hello!

I purchased a computer second-hand thus didn't get any driver software, etc. for it. The sound has never worked. I went through all the usual checks, and everything should be OK. I even bought a second set of speakers. Nothing. The driver which was installed when I got the unit was the SiS 7018. I downloaded a fresh one from the SiS site, reinstalled, and guess what? Nothing. Any suggestions? Should I just buy an audio card and install it and forget all this onboard nonsense? In that case, would disabling the audio from the BIOS be sufficient to not get audio conflicts? Please help!!!!

Reply here or at [email protected].

Thanks!

2. thib4

thib4

i would disable the sound in bios and let the system finish starting then shutdown and install the new video card

disabling in bios should be all you need to do to remove the old onboard sound

3. max 8

max 8

Hi. I'm currently using the same sound driver as HalLicino.
    I just bought my computer brand new 3weeks ago. the sound works fine but that's not the issue.
    I was told that if I wanted to install a separate sound card I needed to "flash" the bios. Is that the same as just disabling the onboard sound card?
    Don't really know what "flash" means.
    Would it make a big difference in sound quality if I bought a separate sound card? it sounds great right now w/ my Altec Lansing 2100 3 pc speaker system.
    Thanks.

4. thib4

thib4

I dont think you would notice much of a difference in the sound cards

i would not try flashing the bios unless the new sound card did not work after installation. i have never had to flash a bios to make a sound card work

5. HalLicino

HalLicino Thread Starter

Happy New Year Everybody!

I'm dying to hear Auld Lang Syne on my computer, but I guess I just have to wait until the stores open tomorrow and go buy that audio card.

I too have heard of "flashing" the BIOS, and don't have a clue as to what it means. Since these audio problems have been quite vexing and although I realize that I likely won't need to flash the BIOS to install the new video card, could anyone tell me what flashing is? (No I don't mean going to the park wearing a raincoat...) :D

6. thib4

thib4

flashing means to rewrite to the bios

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice