1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound card install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karmaticlove, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmaticlove

karmaticlove Thread Starter

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Windows XP on a Dell Optiplex GX260

I have a sound card (chipset) attached to my motherboard but wanted to install a (CMI8738 4ch) pci sound card. Did the swap, installed the drivers, & went into both the control panel and device manager to do some tweeking and got no results.

Is it necessary to connect the cd rom cable to the sound card in order to get sound from, lets say, Windows Media Player? I didn't think so for a mp3 test on my media player.

Is there a protocol for turning off the chipset and turning on the pci sound card? Care to explain it?

Do I have to turn off the chip set in the device manage BEFORE I install the pci sound card?

Any hints, tips, things I should know, or tricks?

THANKS!

2. colmaca

colmaca

I think you need to disable the onboard sound and this looks like how to do it enter setup.

more detail can be seen here
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx260/en/ug/advfeat.htm#1101564

Turn on or restart your computer.

When Press <F2> to Enter Setup appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, press <F2> immediately.

If you wait too long and the Microsoft® Windows® logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop, then shut down your computer and try again.

----------------------------------------------------------
    look for this part

Integrated Devices— Configures the following devices integrated with the system board:
    Sound — Settings are On (default) or Off.

turn it off should disable it then try and setup your pci sound card drivers

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Depending on age of unit that cable is no longer necessary so it is hard ot answer you as you have told us nothing about your pc...You probably need to enter the bios or setup and shut down the onboard sound for the pci card to be heard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice