Sound card installation & other problems Win/98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Carrie

A friend of mine lives out in the boonies, and her modem was fried by lightening a few months ago. She has 64 MB memory, 6 G hard drive, AMD K6-266, and runs Win/98, 1st Edition. Her only cards are the modem, sound card (PCI), and an ATI video card (4 MB). She has a cd-rom, one floppy, and one zip drive.

She bought a new modem (Rockwell WinModem) and could never get it configured. She said each time she would install it, it wouldn't work and would show up on a different COM port. She took it to a local computer shop, and they told her the new modem was a "piece of junk," and they installed a new one. They also informed her that her old sound card was dead, and that she also had virus (she doesn't remember the name), which they eradicated. She did not have them install a new sound card, since they had already charged her an arm and a leg for the other work.

Since then, she purchased a Maxi Sound MUSE card. When she tried to install it, Win/98 detected it, but when it got to the point where it asks for the Win/98 CD, a loud sound emitted from the speakers (not noise, but sound), and the computer always locked up. She called me to see if I could get it to work.

I have tried removing the modem and sound card, putting them in one at a time, and rebooting. Same thing happens whenever the sound card is installing. There are no IRQ conflicts for any device. Oddly enough, I noticed when booting in Safe Mode, duplicate devices show up. I've removed ALL devices in System/Devices/Hardware, rebooted, installed, and the same thing happens. Devices look fine in normal mode, but are duped in Safe Mode. I might add, I also noticed dupes of actual System devices, such as motherboard resources, hard disk, and floppy controllers. I removed those dupes, as well, and they seem to have remained okay. (By the way, the computer will not boot at all now whenever the sound card is inserted.)

When I asked her about what she has tried so far, she said she has re-installed Win/98 using Setup. (She *thinks* she may have done it more than once!?)

I might also add, her computer is a real mess. She downloads screensavers, games, Internet boosting utilities, etc. I have removed many, and made sure none are turned on when trying the installs, but same results. She has also mentioned she gets numerous Illegal Operation errors in programs such as AOL, Word, etc. Oh, and I have also gone into MSConfig and turned off all but the necessary startup options. (I did find an old reference to her old vortex sound card there.)

I am wondering if she should back up her data, reformat her hard drive, do a new install of Win/98, and start over from square one. Is that too extreme, or does it sound like a sensible solution? Would it solve her sound card and other device installation problems?

Any advice would be much appreciated... and please give as many details as possible... :eek:)

Thank you,
Carrie

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You have my vote for a re-format! :)

It certainly isn't going to hurt since the system is in such a mess....

Once you get windows re-installed, I would suggest canceling the hardware search, and installing the problem sound card first....just in case it's being fussy.......and wants a certain IRQ.....

Carrie

AcaCandy,

Thanks for your vote! She is already backing up her data.

Say, if you don't mind, I have a couple of questions about reformatting:

1. I read in a Windows newsletter that one should do it by booting from a floppy, and a "/u" parameter is recommended with the "format" command. Do you agree?

2. In your opinion, when is a low level format necessary?

Thanks again,
Carrie

Well i'm not AcaCandy but yeah you would boot from the floppy to reformat. There's good tutorials here about deleting and creating partitions and formatting and installing windows...

http://members.tripod.com/ramblingsoftheoran/windows-tutorials.htm

If you need a startup disk you can find them here or just make a couple on the 98 pc first before formatting it.
www.startdisk.com
http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html
www.bootdisk.com

Also after formatting you may need to reinstall the driver for the video card to get all the color settings back.

Carrie

Kento,

Thanks for the advice, and the good links. I should be getting around to this sometime this week. I'll be sure and let you all know if I have any problems. ;)

Carrie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online