Sound Card not recognized after installing XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tverset

I upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP but in doing so my computer stopped recognizing my sound card, so I'm unable hear anything. Any ideas on what I can do about this would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

-T.VERSET

Windows ME and Windows XP use different drivers. You're gonna need to know the name of your card, and do some research in GOOGLE or search at www.driverguide.com or the place that make your sound card for Windows XP drivers.

tverset

How do I find the name of my sound card? It came with my dell dimension 8100, if anyone can tell me based on that.

Go to DELL.com and enter your EXPRESS SERVICE code, they will tell you what hardware was in your machine, and the drivers to download for that card for Windows XP.

tverset

It's pro. I don't if this is what you meant but under 'sounds and audio devices properties' everything is frozen so I can't change the settings and it says that there are no audio devices.

That Santa Cruz driver is a hefty download at 20 megs, but installing it should solve your problem.

If not, you may need motherboard drivers, but try it first.

I hate that word "frozen" when talking about computers. What do you mean?

Any yellow or red splotches, or unknown devices in DM (Run: devmgmt.msc in Pro)?

tverset

Thanks a lot guys, that worked pefectly elvandil. Thats a load off my mind thanx again.

T. Verset

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online