1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Card Problems (No Sound!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamesG89, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesG89

JamesG89 Thread Starter

So I just recently switched back from vista to xp (vista sucks :S) and now I'm having troubles getting my sound to work. I can use my usb headset to produce sound but my creative 7.1 surround sound doesn't want to work.

I have Creative SB Audigy 2ZS (latest drivers)
    I also have SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

I don't know why I have both of those maybe they are the problem?
    Also I'm not sure why but I was getting sound once but then after restarting I lost it again, maybe that indicates a problem with my BIOS?
    Thanks in advanced for the help

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should disable the integrated SoundMax audio in the BIOS setup of your motherboard to avoid conflicts. But in Windows also make sure that in the Control Panel under Sounds and Audio that the Creative card is the default playback device.

3. JamesG89

JamesG89 Thread Starter

Hmm ok did that just now, onboard is switched off, now creative is the only thing I can select as the default playback but still nothing. Usb headset still works.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure the speakers are connected to the right jack on the Creative card?

5. JamesG89

JamesG89 Thread Starter

Yup 100% sure.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are there any errors listed in Device Manager?

7. JamesG89

JamesG89 Thread Starter

Hmm yeah there are 2, 1 is an unknown device but its located on my graphics card the other is a RAID controller on PCI bus 3 which is the same bus my audio card is on could that be the problem?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not sure, have you installed the chipset drivers for the mainboard? I think you should reinstall those, then uninstall the SoundMax drivers and then reinstall the Creative drivers again.

9. JamesG89

JamesG89 Thread Starter

:D It worked! Thanks a million Triple6, I feel a bit dumb for not having installed the chipset drivers properly but hey its all a learning process. Thanks again you were quick and very helpful!

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No problem, glad it helped.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice