Sound Card Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

howard.a.s

I have recently acquired a second hand Compaq Deskpro PC (Pentium 3 500Mhz with 10gb HDD, 128meg RAM, CDRW, FDD, 56K modem, 3D graphics card).
The PC came without any OS, so I proceeded to format the HDD and make a clean install of Windows '98 S/E.
After install of Windows '98 S/E everything appeared to operate perfectly.
However, the PCB has on-board sound which seems to be delivered to a small loudspeaker mounted behind a small grille at the front of the PC. There are existing sockets on the rear of the unit into which a external speaker system can be added.
However, I really wanted to add improved audio, and so fitted a PCI 4-6 channel sound card into a free PCI slot on the motherboard.
I proceeded to install the sound card drivers and rebooted as requested. However, after re-boot the sound still comes from the inbuilt loudspeaker and not from those plugged into the new PCI card.
I checked a few things, such as whether there were any obvious settings that needed changing in the bios, on the main board (jumpers) and in the software set-up of the sound card. I also checked for problems in Control Panel/system/devices/hardware/software etc. Nothing seems obviously incorrect and according to the system information everything is working fine.
Rather puzzled, I wondered if I'd got a faulty PCI soundcard, so proceeded to remove the recently fitted soundcard, removed the drivers and then fitted a known working SoundBlaster card and correct drivers. However, this also fails to work with speakers attached to the new PCI card sockets.
Can anyone tell me what I am overlooking, or what could be the problem?
I have fitted additional soundcards on other PCs and do not seem to have had any such problem. Normally they seem to work first time and any in-built speaker within the PC appears to be disabled upon re-boot.

One last thing. Along the way, and whilst installing/de-installing drivers for the Creative Soundblaster card, I seem to have gained a additional issue. When trying to de-install the software in order to re-install the original soundcard fitted, when in Add/Remove software, the listing for Creative Soundblaster Audio will not allow un-install to take place. I receive a flagged message saying that as the de-install program failed to load properly, this de-instalation cannot be carried-out. Is there a way around this - if in fact i need to worry about it anyway?

Hope someone can help.

Try rebooting in safe mode then go into device manager and delete all sound card drivers listed then reboot with the new card in the PCI slot. It will auto detect the new card and ask for drivers.

howard.a.s said:
I have recently acquired a second hand Compaq Deskpro PC (Pentium 3 500Mhz with 10gb HDD, 128meg RAM, CDRW, FDD, 56K modem, 3D graphics card).
The PC came without any OS, so I proceeded to format the HDD and make a clean install of Windows '98 S/E.
After install of Windows '98 S/E everything appeared to operate perfectly.
However, the PCB has on-board sound which seems to be delivered to a small loudspeaker mounted behind a small grille at the front of the PC. There are existing sockets on the rear of the unit into which a external speaker system can be added.
However, I really wanted to add improved audio, and so fitted a PCI 4-6 channel sound card into a free PCI slot on the motherboard.
I proceeded to install the sound card drivers and rebooted as requested. However, after re-boot the sound still comes from the inbuilt loudspeaker and not from those plugged into the new PCI card.
I checked a few things, such as whether there were any obvious settings that needed changing in the bios, on the main board (jumpers) and in the software set-up of the sound card. I also checked for problems in Control Panel/system/devices/hardware/software etc. Nothing seems obviously incorrect and according to the system information everything is working fine.
Rather puzzled, I wondered if I'd got a faulty PCI soundcard, so proceeded to remove the recently fitted soundcard, removed the drivers and then fitted a known working SoundBlaster card and correct drivers. However, this also fails to work with speakers attached to the new PCI card sockets.
Can anyone tell me what I am overlooking, or what could be the problem?
I have fitted additional soundcards on other PCs and do not seem to have had any such problem. Normally they seem to work first time and any in-built speaker within the PC appears to be disabled upon re-boot.

One last thing. Along the way, and whilst installing/de-installing drivers for the Creative Soundblaster card, I seem to have gained a additional issue. When trying to de-install the software in order to re-install the original soundcard fitted, when in Add/Remove software, the listing for Creative Soundblaster Audio will not allow un-install to take place. I receive a flagged message saying that as the de-install program failed to load properly, this de-instalation cannot be carried-out. Is there a way around this - if in fact i need to worry about it anyway?

Hope someone can help.
you are getting things a little mixed up the speaker behind the grill does not get sound from your sound card, it is called a case speaker, it is only for alarms ie bios beeps, it is not run by windows as such. It is plugged in to your moboz front panel connections, has nothing to do with your sound cards. If you have on board sound, meaning NO pci card, chip is built into your mobo, you will need drivers for it along with all your mobo drivers, or if you want a pci sound card then you may have to disable ob in the bios. You sould be able to go into safe mode device manager and unistall a device, reboot when windows detects new hardware and wants driver disk just cancel through that stuff, get into windows and load drivers then using the driver disk setup.exe for do it through device manager. since this pc is very old the pci slots could be toasted also, a possibilty anyway, you also have to check to see if the little speaker icon shows up in the lower rh corner of your desk top and make sure all volumes are turned up to get any sounds from your sound card.

howard.a.s

Thanks everyone for all the advice, it will be tomorrow before I can actually get my hands on the offending PC again in order to try-out the suggestions you've all very kindly made. However, I will come back to you as soon as I see what happens. The model of the PC is a EN series K500/10. I suppose the theory that the PCI slots are 'toast' is possible, because over time the contacts may have become dirty and blackened by constant exposure to air and dust. However, at least one of the PCI sockets is working, because there is a 56K modem plugged into it and working, so I suppose I could remove the modem and replace it with the soundcard to prove a point. I realise that this PC is quite old by computer standards. It does have a manufacturer date stamp that shows it as being about 5 years old, so I suppose most would consider this ancient. Nevertheless, once working it will do me just fine as a back-up pc and for basic uses which I have in mind.

I did take a look in the bios earlier today and couldn't see anything relating to sound, although I'm sure that there must be, so I will try again. I know that on one of my other PCs I remember seeing something about 'enable/disable onboard sound' in the bios, so I guess this PC will have similar settings?

I did go into sound settings to make sure that all levels were set so that sound should emit from the external speakers. I do understand what you mean about there being a difference between the speaker built into the case for onboard sound, and the one that emits system beeps. Incidentally, when the PC boots up it gives two beeps instead of what I'm pretty sure is just one on my other PCs. What may this signify?

I wonder if anyone had any comments on the problem un-instaling the soundblaster driver?
I was just reading someone elses question relating to a sound problem and noticed a link to a software program that cleans away left over and unusable drivers. Is this a worthwhile thing to run on the Compaq. I also downloaded the Windows audio driver update for the Compaq that you suggested. I will try installing this onto the Compaq PC tomorrow.

Thanks again. Any further advice gratefully received. Oh, and Happy New Year to you all!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online