1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Card Problems...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shidoran, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

Howdy,

bought a generic sound card to install to replace the one inbuilt in my motherboard. I believe the new sound card is an audioexcel (either an AV512 or AV515M, either way its 6 channel) Control Panel Device Manager says its a CM18738/C3DX PCI Audio Device.

Ok so I uninstall the drivers for the motherboard which I believe to be a Realtek AC97 Audio Controller, also went into the bios, found it and clicked "disable" where the only other option was "auto". So I plug the new sound card into the port, chuck the CD in and install the drivers, and it doesn't work. Can't figure it out. I've tried it with the AC97 on auto in BIOS, but windows finds the new audio controller and perhaps there is a conflict. Tried working through the crappy windows troubleshoot to make sure the new audio device is my default device but it's all good and sweet so I don't understand the problem. The computer picked it up ok and detected it when I plugged it in as an unknown audio controller and device manager says its working fine.

No sounds come out though and when I go to play an MP3 in winamp you hit the play button and nothing happens. If just no sound was coming out the song would be playing with the equaliser going etc but not even that happens. I tried to get control panel device manager to test the hardware but the computer froze and reset itself. Something's wrong but I can't figure out how to fix it.

Any help greatly appreciated, hope you can make sense of my long winded explanation.

2. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

Sorry didn't specify I'm running WINXP ver 2002 (SP2)

3. DeLorean

DeLorean

You've done everything in the correct order by getting rid of the older drivers before installing the new, etc so this is a little odd, but not uncommon with windows.

Device Manager definitely says it's fine? As even when there's no question mark or exclamation mark next to a device it can sometimes state conflicts when you double click it, if it says it's working perfectly but hasn't been then right click on it and uninstall the device (but leave the drivers installed), then reboot.

This time it may redetect and reinitialise itself better, if not I suggest trying a different PCI slot, 9 times out of 10 it is slot-related as each PCI slot shares an IRQ with 1 other device in the system and the first time you install a new soundcard it is ALWAYS in someone elses territory. Sod's law, I just suggested reinitialising it to see if that helps before you have to go and open up the case again.

4. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

I've tried both the spare slots and still nothing, thanks for the help though. Also tried what you said to uninstall it for re-initialisation but that hasn't worked either... I'm so stumped on this one. Maybe the sound card is faulty?

No, there are no problems in device manager, nor any conflicts at all, nor when I double click anything. It all says its working correctly. Something strange though is that the CD plays undecoded files with no sound though (probably due to the audio cable I haven't put in from the CD rom to the new sound card) but it won't even play raw *.wav files... Hmmmmmmm....

5. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

Fixed it and got it working. I unplugged my old dialup modem which was in the middle PCI slot, plugged in the sound card and it worked immediately. There are 3 PCI slots in my motherboard, I thought it strange that only the middle one works. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix them or what the problems may be? this could cause future problems for me...

Thanks for your help :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice