Sound Card to Modem Card Connector Cable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

delta doc

I used to have an internal cable conecting the sound card to the modem card inside of the CPU. When I put in the new 3Com/USR 56k modem FX/VC/DT/SP, there was no connector to which to conect the sound card cable.

I read somewhere once, that one could connect the output of the modem card to the input of the Sound Card using a short cable on the outside back of the CPU to achieve the same thing.

The other option is to dedicate a speaker system to the modem card. (If i do this route, do I use a monaural speaker or a stereo speaker system--in other words, i think the modem is a monaural sound source but i wanna check for sure?).

I think it would be cleaner to be able to take the OUT from the modem to the IN of the Sound Card on the back of the CPU. Does anyone know if this will work?

Tx,
DDR

If it is the same as the cable i ran into with the replacement of an old 33.5 modem with a new 56k Creatve moden. The old one had a cable (a TAD=Telephone Answering Device) that never did anything on the machine as it came new. Leaving it off did now apear to do anything!

[This message has been edited by Paul Nagel (edited 03-06-2000).]

delta doc

Yes, it is the same type of cable. It is there to enable the Speakerphone portion of your modem to function. It does this by feeding the modem signal into the Sound card so that you can hear the person on the other end of the line when they speak to you thru your speakers.

However, the new modem doesn't have this cable connection available. It says use an amplified modem speaker system (plugged into the OUT of the modem).

I am wondering (because I think i read this somewhere once) if you can just use a short cable to connect the OUT of the modem to the IN of the Sound card and effect the same thing as having the internal cable connecting the two??

Yes, that is correct. Most newer modems don't have the internal connector - they only have the external one.

Kind of weird when most newer sound cards now have the extra jack for TAD whereas the older ones didn't.

Anyway, it is Mono if you want to give it its own speaker. Also when buying the small cable (if you go that way) you can get a mono one and save 50 cents or so.

delta doc

Thanks Larry. Rockford huh? I used to know a Mel Kaiser and Rosco Jones from Rockford many years ago.

Anyway, just to be certain I understand on the modem to sound card:

1. Gateway wouldn't comment on the efficacy of the external cable connection between the sound card and modem, stating "We don't support that configuration".

2. 3Com/USR states that one must use an amplified modem speaker in order to utilize the speakerphone capability of the modem.

So, if this works, why do Gateway and the manufacturer not state that one can do this?

I ask only to be sure that I understand the configuration properly, and that there aren't some down side to this configuration that explains why the manufacturers aren't recommending it.

Tx again,
DDR

Well, I've only been here for a few years, and I sit in front of computers a lot...

Anyway, Gateway doesn't support it because it is just one more thing that they don't want to deal with. They have enough trouble getting "more serious" issues solved.

3COM is telling you that the modem doesn't have an amplifier in it. So, if you do hook up an external speaker, it will have to be a powered one. If you go to the line in of your sound card this isn't an issue - line in is FOR unamplified sound sources.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online